Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 53 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

AT4 style pneumatic

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
AT4 style pneumatic

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:56 am

I wanted to make a compact toolies valve spudgun for a while, but now that I've landed a summer job at a lab with a machine shop I decided to build this thing while I still had access to professional resources. I intend to use this to make it rain Nerf darts in Humans vs Zombies games.

according to GGDT the muzzle velocity of a cluster of 30 Nerf darts with wadding should be around 100fps which is a decent speed for nerf darts, and I've tested this with a bundled sock which gets ranges of ~100feet at a semi flat angle to the ground.

for comparison this an early prototype of an AT4

originally I planned on piloting this with a hose and a blowgun on the side but that was too optimistic even with an oring seal on my piston

instead I opted to directly mount a 1/4" ball valve triggered opened via a string which works great

I'm pretty happy with it, it has as much power as I need and I can finaly bring a cannon with me to college and shoot it too

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Lockednloaded » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:17 am

Very cool! I like how clean and simple the inline design is. What is the porting on this thing?

I love lamp
Lockednloaded
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:36 pm

The porting is a 1" hole, i made an oring sealed plug out of aluminum and i drilled out the hole on the lathe but if the shop had a bigger drill i would have made a bigger port

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:17 am

mind if I bump this with a video?

Last edited by jrrdw on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed video.

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: sharpshooter11000 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:59 am

Is the ball valve and string a good pilot? I've been making a co axial AT4 style launcher and was thinking of piloting it with a QEV and blowgun pilot but I didn't want to have a bulky air line running down the side. Or I might just use an electronically actuated valve...

Nice clean cannon by the way! Any plans on painting it or anything?

My cannons | My QEV cannon |
sharpshooter11000
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:56 pm

The ball valve is a very good pilot for my setup, the string actually helps you consistently open it quickly, however you will have to modify the handle so it points in the right direction. you should also have an oring seal on the piston It'll still work with a duct tape seal but not nearly as well

Imo a QEV is a waste, according to ggdt my piston valve ggdt doesn't show any significant increases in performance with larger vents so really it's depend on how quickly air in your chamber will escape into your pilot

I don't have any plans for paint jobs since I use this in HvZ I can't paint this too look like a gunlike, however I do plan to put the words "SHOCK AND AWE" on the side in bold stencils inspired by the expendables 2

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database