Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 52 users online :: 8 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Baldyforks, Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

My Second gun... Same thing, neater

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
My Second gun... Same thing, neater

Unread postAuthor: Teflon » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:26 am

Hello again Spudfiles.

Well its been a good 3 years since I posted my first gun.

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/my-firs ... 17890.html

I've been dabbling here and there making pistons and valves and bits and pieces, but finnaly last week i put the effort into making a gun i can actually use.

So, its a 6mm plinker, ball valve actuated, homemade check valved, single shot, on board pump, rifle.

Bits'n'pieces:

Pump: The pump is the shaft and piston end from a standard bicycle hand pump, carefully cut down to fit into a 15mm piece of PVC pipe.

Check Valve: The check valve i made by flattening 3 layers of PVC from a large diameter tube using a heat gun, then cutting them to rounds and glueing them inside the connecting fitting between the pump and the bottom tee. a hole was drilled into these flats and a shaft with o-ring from a standard hose trigger valve installed, serviceable by a threaded brass endcap.

The rest: everything else is fairly self evident, i made a stock to fit, installed a lever for mechanical advantage, installed a trigger mechanism with a safe hidden trigger (which i forgot to take a picture of)
the barrel is a 6.42mm ID aluminium pipe i bought from a hobby shop. i pushed a piece of 6mm clear plastic tubing onto the end to hold bbs in position (pictured)

Done alot of shooting with it over the last few days, its impressively accurate.
Turns out my girlfriend is an amazing shot.
Her first shot ever was only 12mm from the bullseye, her second, almost as good.
Her third shot was a perfect bullseye from about 6m.
then she got another..

I hate her..

Attachments
2012-11-27 07.53.07.jpg
Iso View
2012-12-01 18.29.11.jpg
Trigger setup / cocking lever
Trigger is in the center of the stock, accesable througha grove on the other side, it turns the small dark piece of steel anticlockwise, which turns the aluminium part and releases the ball valve lever
2012-12-01 18.30.23.jpg
Breach and tube holding bb
2012-12-01 18.31.57.jpg
Gun, with lever partially forward.
Lever did work with the piston's back running on rails but they were unnesisary so i removed them, lever is smooth and easy to operate for the entire distance of the bore stroke
2012-11-27 07.52.37.jpg
Side on.

Teflon
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Doctore » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:03 am

Nice,have you tried using metal bbs

Doctore
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Teflon » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Im in Australia so bb's in general are a bit difficult to come by.
The white plastic ones im using at the moment were bought on ebay, listed as "slingshot ammo"

Before i found my current 6mm 'barrel' i had a 9mm with which i shot 9mm ball bearing, the power was certainly more impressive but i wanted the pellets to travel faster.

Im going to get my hands on some metal 6mm bbs eventually, but im sure theyll just travel a little slower, with a bit more momentum and slightly greater consistancy.

Typically i only pump it between 2 and 4 pumps with these light bbs, but i used to pump 10 times with the bearings.

10 pumps with the current bbs is a bit loud for shooting under my suburban house.
The main problem im having at the moment is that i need to pump way to many times. based off the size of the barrel i estimate that i could easily half my chamber volume with no losses. maybe ill pour some epoxy down into the side of the chamber to reduce volume...

Last edited by Teflon on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:27 am

Quirky yet brilliantly done, kudos!

Very post-apocalyptic, reminds me of something you would see in Metro 2033...

Smaller chamber volume and high pressure is the way to go.

10 pumps with the current bbs is a bit loud for shooting under my suburbian house.

Top it off with a can at the end ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Teflon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:20 am

I have thought of a muffling device of some sort, originally i thought it couldn't be on the end of the barrel, as the entire barrel slides back and forth for the breech, and anything protruding from the outer diameter would interfere with the stock.

however upon reading your suggestion I realised i could have the silencer attached to the stock and the barrel could simply slide in and out of it...

having something round come out of the end would do wonders for the appearance too.
However it is a fair bit of work as id have to rebuild the iron sights and everything.

This will require some contemplation.

Teflon
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Zeus » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:55 am

If you're interested in BBs mate, I can sort you out. pretty cheap too. Very nice work too.

/sarcasm, /hyperbole
Zeus
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:10 am

Teflon wrote:However it is a fair bit of work as id have to rebuild the iron sights and everything.

Well, it doesn't have to go above the sight line, have a look at what I did here:

Also, since you're cleary one accustomed to thinking outside the box, you might want to contemplate other solutions...

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database