Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 45 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MCRKilljoy based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

schmanman's steel piston bb rifle

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 

Is it sweet?

yes, I will build one!
No votes
yes
No votes
no
No votes
no
No votes

Total votes : 0
  • Author
schmanman's steel piston bb rifle

Unread postAuthor: schmanman » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:11 pm

This is my piston rifle. It easily shoots a slingshot BB through plywood or a can or two (those are slingshot bb's in the last two pics) at 155 psi. the piston is a rear foot peg off an old dirt bike, drilled out, and sanded with fine emery cloth. the chamber is a ten inch long section of 3/4 inch diameter galvanized steel the elbow and tee are made specifically for pneumatics. the barrel is 2 feet of 1/4 inch diameter copper. It is extremely accurate. the pilot vent is a blowgun. the gun pumps up to 200 psi with 15 pumps of the bike pump, because of the small chamber. the highest I have taken it is 250 psi, and the BB is going so fast that you can rarely see it. I will add a scope, co2, and a flat black paint job. this thing is SOOO fun!!!
(oh yeah, you grab it between the tee and the elbow and hold it like a rifle, with your other hand in the back on the blowgun) pimpmann, can it still be entered in the contest?

an overview of the gun.

above is the tee, made for pneumatics.

the air chamber.

the barrel, and some slingshot bb's.

the chamber, barrel, and some slingshot bb's

Last edited by schmanman on Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Persistence is a measure of faith in yourself
schmanman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: saladtossser » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:37 pm

looks like something i would enjoy, how do you make a piston valve out of steel fittings? i'm stumped on how you got the thing to stick through a bushing like that

"whoa... I thought pimpmann was black..."-pyromanic13
saladtossser
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: ProfessorAmadeus » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:39 pm

Very cool! That is an awesome Gun! What does the piston look like and how fast does the blpw gun triger it? I want to see some damage pics to see the full power of it and try and get it to a higher psi :wink:
Is that treaded piece the piece that the piston seals on?

Last edited by ProfessorAmadeus on Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insomniac wrote:Hey why am I a goose???? Why not somthing a little more awe inspireing, like an eagle or something? LOL

SOO CUTE!! OMG!! I COULD JUST LICK YOU!!
ProfessorAmadeus
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: COD_FILLETS » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:50 pm

Can you post a diagram/plans of how/what you did?

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

"I'll Procrastinate Later" - COD_FILLETS
From [url]Quotes4All.net[url]

COD_FILLETS
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:01 pm

Don't ask for plans. If you cant figure out how to build it from the picture you shouldn't be building it.

Nice gun you should paint it black and red and add a hopper for BB's.

SpudStuff
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: saladtossser » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:35 pm

SpudStuff wrote:Don't ask for plans. If you cant figure out how to build it from the picture you shouldn't be building it.

I think that doesnt apply to things with hidden moving parts...

"whoa... I thought pimpmann was black..."-pyromanic13
saladtossser
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: )DEMON( » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:51 am

I see these metal barrel sealing cannons are becoming popular.
Very good work, you have done an excellent job. You always manage to find things to use in your cannons.
Like I said befor, you will get better preformance with a ball valve exhaust.

Forever dreaming...
)DEMON(
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:32 am

yeah but blowguns are way cooler b/c they have a trigger...unless you hook up a spring activated ball vlave.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: schmanman » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:25 am

thanks!

the bushing is threaded, so I tapped it so there were threads all the way to the bottom, then Teflon taped a nipple, and screwed it into the back. now I can screw on the barrels. and since all pressurized parts are steel, this thing can be taken to extreme pressures.

I am working on the ball valve exhaust. I will use a 1/2 inch ball valve I got for free. this whole gun cost me nine bucks (barrel and brass fittings to hold it on). look for more of these from me, because my grandpa has a huge bucket of galvanized parts.

The piston is about an 1 1/2 inches (I'm bad at estimating, so I am probably off) long, aluminium, with the front nearly smooth, and a hole drilled in the back to increase the surface area, and reduce the weight by half. It seals on a piece of surgical tubing sleeving the 1/4 inch pipe going through the bushing. the piece of surgical tubing is folded over on the top, to create a nearly perfectly flat sealing face. the piston may or may not be replaced by one machined on a lathe in the future.

schmanman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: LucyInTheSky » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:40 am

I like the way you have made and over-under but put the chamber facing the other way.

You probly shouldnt use a ball valve as an exhaust as it wouldnt fell right opening one, unless you used one as a trigger like in my sawn off and brians.

congrats.

also do you prfer this one or your big one?

You could put open sights on it also, it would make it even more accurate.

Last edited by LucyInTheSky on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your getting chased off a police dog, try not to run through a tunnel then onto a small see-saw then through a ring of fire. They are trained for that!
LucyInTheSky
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: COD_FILLETS » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:11 am

SpudStuff wrote:Don't ask for plans. If you cant figure out how to build it from the picture you shouldn't be building it.

saladtossser wrote:I think that doesnt apply to things with hidden moving parts...

I was implying what saladtosser said. I dont know if its just me, but I cant see through metal very well.

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

"I'll Procrastinate Later" - COD_FILLETS
From [url]Quotes4All.net[url]

COD_FILLETS
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: SpudStuff » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:12 am

Your piolt volume seems to be very large. If you decreace the volume you should notice an increace in performance.

SpudStuff
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: LucyInTheSky » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:19 am

One thing you could do (just for looks not performance) make the fill point face down instead of sticking out to the side.

His pilot volume isnt to big as it is thin pipe anyway, dont change it as it looks good the way it is.

Also what muzzle volocity you getting? I think you said you had a chrony

If your getting chased off a police dog, try not to run through a tunnel then onto a small see-saw then through a ring of fire. They are trained for that!
LucyInTheSky
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: schmanman » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:35 pm

I suspect the muzzle velocity is very high, because It shoots through a steel can easily, embedded a nail an inch and a half into a wolmanized 4x4, and the bb has very little mass, so the velocity has to make up for that. My uncle has the chrono. spudstuff, the pilot volume was kept small, The piston takes up most of that space. the schrader valve is over to the side so I can easily hook up the compressor. I do not really prefer one cannon over the other. oh, and the filling point (schrader valve) is on the side like that so I can easily fill it up with my compressor, and so I can set it on the ground when filling it with a bike pump, and the fill valve is still angled up in the air.

where's brian the brain? I really would like some feedback form him *wink wink, nudge nudge*

schmanman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: POS » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:49 pm

Seems like a nice gun. You should add a stock, of you are going to use a scope. Not much use for a scope when you can't hold the gun still.

POS
Major
Major

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database