Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

new piston gun now with damage pics

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:04 am

It's ability to fire is no mystery - it will logically work, but I highly doubt it seals any more effectively than a sieve.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:29 am

I just noticed this topic because of the recent post in it, and have to say that this valve is one of a kind, and it's amazing that it actually seals. I wonder how performance on this type of barrel sealing+chamber sealing valve compares to a normal piston valve?

I feel your pain on the "no pressure rated pipe" bit, I have the same problem, but it still seems reckless to make a pneumatic with DWV pipe and fittings, although as long as you don't take it above 50 psi it should be fine.

DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: spud yeti » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:45 am

Yeah, the DWV does suck. Why does anyone actually use it?
But according to super spuder's sig, this gun should be made out of ABS, which its not (ooo!), so it shouldnt (hyperthetically) matter that DWV is used because it would blow up anyways :D
(this is PVC, not ABS, right?)

really good quote/phrase here
spud yeti
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:20 pm

This is made of ABS, you can tell by the yellow glue, and there is nothing wrong with using ABS in pneumatics, as long as it is pressure rated. Pressure rated ABS is more suited than pressure rated PVC as a chamber for a pneumatic launcher, due to its better failure characteristics. Any DWV plastic pipe should not be used in pneumatics, whether it is PVC or ABS makes little difference.

DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:38 pm

DYI wrote:This is made of ABS, you can tell by the yellow glue, and there is nothing wrong with using ABS in pneumatics, as long as it is pressure rated. Pressure rated ABS is more suited than pressure rated PVC as a chamber for a pneumatic launcher, due to its better failure characteristics. Any DWV plastic pipe should not be used in pneumatics, whether it is PVC or ABS makes little difference.

ABS DWV is better than PVC DWV.
And Pressure rated ABS is rarer than diamonds here in the states, and I'm sure its like that in a lot of other places too.
now this isn't supposed to start a abs/pvc war.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:34 pm

How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on? :D

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:23 am

Novacastrian wrote:How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on? :D
Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:08 am

LOL!

In the UK, pressure rated stuff is pretty rare in both PVC and ABS. You do occasionally see some weird PVC pipe listed as 12 bar, but it's clearly not suitable for spudguns.

I've yet to look at builder's merchant's. I imagine they'll have pressure rated PVC, maybe even ABS, but they'll ask £100 a length, then demand it's bought in a minimum batch of 10 lengths of 6 metres each most likely.

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Gepard » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:21 pm

Metric stuff's usually 5m - it's normally the Imperial sizes that come in 6m lengths.

Plenty of places to buy it online though - I've yet to see it in a builder's merchant I must admit..... But then my local Pipe Center thought I was taking the pi** when I asked for a non rated 160mm pipe.

Gepard
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database