Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

High-Power Copper Sniper Rifle

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: homedepotpro » Wed May 16, 2007 7:04 pm

old helmets, i enjoy watching safety equipment exploit

homedepotpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Wed May 16, 2007 7:08 pm

What would you do with the helium? I know it's a stupid question.

potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Wed May 16, 2007 7:59 pm

Helium is a lighter gas than compressed air, and therefore yields much better performance when used in a pneumatic spudgun.

For example, at 250 PSI, GGDT predicts that this spudgun will be able to fire a paintball at approximately 1000 FPS using compressed air. If I use helium instead, I will be able to shoot a paintball at just under 1500 FPS. If I decide to use hydrogen gas (even lighter than helium), I will be shooting at almost 1700 FPS.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Thu May 17, 2007 3:47 pm

rmich732 wrote:Helium is a lighter gas than compressed air, and therefore yields much better performance when used in a pneumatic spudgun.

For example, at 250 PSI, GGDT predicts that this spudgun will be able to fire a paintball at approximately 1000 FPS using compressed air. If I use helium instead, I will be able to shoot a paintball at just under 1500 FPS. If I decide to use hydrogen gas (even lighter than helium), I will be shooting at almost 1700 FPS.

Oh, thanks, now I understand.

potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: spud yeti » Fri May 18, 2007 3:13 pm

Wow, that is fast! Where can you get hold of helium and what are the main dangers of working with it compared to just co2? I dont know if I want to mess with it or not :o ... Other than that, what kind of accuracy can you get with that length barrel and tripod to keep it still?
anyways, respect for the nice gun!

spud yeti
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Fri May 18, 2007 4:18 pm

Nice cannon, I like. I didn't think a paintball could go through a plastic bottle, I figured it'd just splat and knock it over.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Fri May 18, 2007 5:45 pm

Video <a href="http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l112/rmich732/?action=view&current=CopperPistonRifleDemonstrationVideo.flv">here</a>

This is just a demonstration video; its just a collection of a few random shots that I took and a few random damage photos. Each shot was taken around 55 PSI. I am going to make a better video in the future, with more pressure, better targets, more damage photos, and more video as well. I just need more time.

By the way, though that football didn't pop from the paintball shot, its not over yet; revenge on the way :twisted: !

How'd you guys like that shot right on the "O" on the magazine :lol: ?

I added a few features to the gun, such as a scope and another barrel support. They were just added hastily, and I will probably make them look cleaner in the future with better materials and hose clamps too

<a href="http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploadFiles/CopperGunUpdate1.JPG">Whole Gun</a>
<a href="http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploadFiles/GhettoScope.JPG">Ghetto Scope</a>
<a href="http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploadFiles/BarrelSupport2.JPG">Second Barrel Support</a>

Thats all I have for now... I will post some more shots and such when I get the time.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri May 18, 2007 6:33 pm

rmich732 wrote:How'd you guys like that shot right on the "O" on the magazine :lol: ?

Gorgeous ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Sat May 19, 2007 12:43 pm

spud yeti wrote:Wow, that is fast! Where can you get hold of helium and what are the main dangers of working with it compared to just co2? I dont know if I want to mess with it or not :o ... Other than that, what kind of accuracy can you get with that length barrel and tripod to keep it still?
anyways, respect for the nice gun!

I'm not really sure where to get helium yet; it was just hypothetical. Maybe I could rent some from a party supply store or something like that. The dangers of working with helium? Well, you are launching a small object at an extremely fast speed; thats always dangerous :o . Other than that, I do not think that helium is any more dangerous than compressed air or regulated CO2.

I haven't experimented with accuracy yet; all I have done is shot at bottles from 15 feet away, and it hits those each time. So I can say with confidence that from 10-15 feet away, it is very accurate hitting bottles :lol:. I kinda don't want to try longer distances (50+ feet), just because if I miss, that 800 FPS+ paintball is going to hit something in one of my neighbors yards :shock: . Although, I like the tripod idea; I might fabricate a cheap one just to try it out.

Paaiyan: Yeah, it was pretty surprising, but the paintball was traveling very fast. Anything that travels fast, even really weak things like grapes, can penetrate stronger materials. I remember that there was a thread made about it, but I forget where it went.

JSR: Thanks :lol: :roll: .

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to improve this gun?

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Sat May 19, 2007 4:27 pm

Ideally, less zip-ties would be nice, but you mentioned that kind of thing. It's pretty good at the moment, so there's not a whole heap that can be done for it. Not bad as we say in our business.

I've seen paintballs leave hefty dents in millimetre thick steel, smash through 3/4" plywood, make messes of tree stumps, and lots of other stuff, so it's not that surprising that a plastic bottle would yeild to a paintball that was clocking high enough speed.

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat May 19, 2007 4:37 pm

rmich732 wrote:Paaiyan: Yeah, it was pretty surprising, but the paintball was traveling very fast. Anything that travels fast, even really weak things like grapes, can penetrate stronger materials. I remember that there was a thread made about it, but I forget where it went.

When you keep in mind that you can use a water jet to cut steel plate, it puts things into perspective.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: joannaardway » Sat May 19, 2007 4:45 pm

Yes, but water jet cutters use water at speeds of up to Mach 3, so I'm not that surprised by that...

Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
joannaardway
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Sat May 19, 2007 5:39 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
rmich732 wrote:Paaiyan: Yeah, it was pretty surprising, but the paintball was traveling very fast. Anything that travels fast, even really weak things like grapes, can penetrate stronger materials. I remember that there was a thread made about it, but I forget where it went.

When you keep in mind that you can use a water jet to cut steel plate, it puts things into perspective.

Don't most water jet cutters have acrylic mixed in as well?

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Sun May 20, 2007 1:11 pm

I am considering replacing the two barrel supports with one long section of PVC pipe. This will just allow it to be a bit more stable. I was rushed when soldering everything together, and therefore the barrel is at a slight angle. If I used a whole length of 1" PVC pipe, secured at four places with hose clamps, I think that would help straighten it out dramatically.

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: spud yeti » Sun May 20, 2007 1:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the helium. If you do any far accuracy tests (you might go to an open field somewhere etc etc) please tell me!! :lol: but I agree with the whole neighbour problem!! :o
A decent scope might improve on the ghetto one tho....
Other than that, well done

spud yeti
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database