Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 70 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

My first effort...

Built a pneumatic cannon? Then post it here! This section is for completed, finished cannons that you have built. Please include pictures and information.
Sponsored 
  • Author
My first effort...

Unread postAuthor: cornflake_81 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:34 am

I had been tossing around the idea of making one of these for a while. Well, I finally had a few days off from work so I decided to give it a go. I somehow managed to get it right on the first try (which isn't to say that its perfect, but it functions well beyond my expectations).

The barrel is 2" in diameter and 60" long. The pressure chamber is 3" in diameter and 36" long. The main valve is a 1" modded sprinkler valve and there's also a 1" ball valve to assist the help the main valve seat properly. There's a regulator with a female quick connect stud to fill it with.

A friend & I tested it out this afternoon. A couple hours and 25 lbs of potatoes later, I couldn't have been more pleased. Most shots were at 80 psi, but we got it up to 100 a few times. Close range destruction was pretty impressive, but I couldn't guage long range very well (the spuds were way out of sight before they came down). I know there are probably a lot of things wrong with this cannon, so don't be shy. I want to know how to make the next one even better, so your comments and criticisms are welcomed and implored.

Last edited by cornflake_81 on Thu May 24, 2007 1:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

cornflake_81
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu May 24, 2007 1:38 am

very nice and I love the name, from the specs it looks like the performance would be pretty impressive so some close range damage pics/videos would not go amiss.

Shame about the ball-valve restricting the flow at the breech end - ah well, safety first, right?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: cornflake_81 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:49 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:very nice and I love the name, from the specs it looks like the performance would be pretty impressive so some close range damage pics/videos would not go amiss.

Shame about the ball-valve restricting the flow at the breech end - ah well, safety first, right?

The videos do exist, still waiting for them to be emailed to me. Lots of destruction and giggling. The ball valve was a necessary evil as I was having an impossible time getting the sprinkler valve to seat without it. Thanks for the kind words.

cornflake_81
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu May 24, 2007 1:55 am

If you post them here they'll be appreciated :)

One small thing, the hose to which the blowgun is connected looks a little long, cutting it down considerably should open the valve quicker.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Insomniac » Thu May 24, 2007 2:10 am

A LITTLE long!!!!!! :lol:
You should really cut it down a bit, unless you have a good reason for being that far from the launcer when pressurised :lol:

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.

Add me on msn!!! insomniac-55@hotmail.com
Insomniac
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Thu May 24, 2007 2:40 am

For your first effort, that is a damn good job.
Also you could replace the blowgun with a ball valve for a faster opening time, but its not really that big of a deal and won't make much of a noticable difference.
Overall, that thing looks damn good. You should make a stand for it.

Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: experament-u2 » Thu May 24, 2007 4:53 am

that is your first :shock:
its an awsome gun but is it just me or is the barrel slightly bending up ohwell

experament-u2
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: spudthug » Thu May 24, 2007 5:54 am

sweet gun! this was way betetr than my first... i dont mean to nag but i dont want u to get hurt...that bell reducer is dwv....scrap it and get a bushing that is nsf-pw...but anyway almost everyone uses dwv on their first gun.. then they learn... so its not a big deal and yea shorten up that hose for way better performance.. btw again nice gun!!

4" piston valved cannon-half done..( i spilt my cement...)

Hybrid- 75% done. need to build propane holder and drill/tap sparkplug hole..
spudthug
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: cornflake_81 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:26 am

experament-u2 wrote:its an awsome gun but is it just me or is the barrel slightly bending up ohwell

Thanks everyone. The barrel is angled up just a smidge. I cross threaded the fitting on the exit end of the ball valve. Its good and air tight and I couldn't justify another trip to Home Depot for a 40 cent part. Crossed threads are better than no threads, I guess...

Insomniac wrote:A LITTLE long!!!!!! :lol:
You should really cut it down a bit, unless you have a good reason for being that far from the launcer when pressurised :lol:

I should note, the pictures look a bit deceiving. The hose from the sprinkler valve to the blowgun is a little less than two feet long. The coiled hose is completely seperate. It has a regulator on one end and is used to fill it with.

spudthug wrote:...i dont want u to get hurt...that bell reducer is dwv....scrap it and get a bushing that is nsf-pw...

Noted....the selection of readily available PVC doo-dads is a little overwhelming. Not easily correctible on this one, but I'll pay closer attention on the next one.

Last edited by cornflake_81 on Thu May 24, 2007 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

cornflake_81
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Thu May 24, 2007 7:30 am

NIce first gun! The only thing I would suggest would be to move the sprinkler valve up towards the barrel to lessen dead space and then have the barrel and chamber a bit more close together. But other than my pet peeves nicely done!

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: veginator » Thu May 24, 2007 7:40 am

that is one sweet gun to be your first. you really did your research on this one. :D

veginator
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Spuddin » Thu May 24, 2007 7:43 am

Cornflake that is a really cool gun man, nice job. btw i like that workbench!

http://www.freewebs.com/spuddin

Spuddin
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: cornflake_81 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:26 am

ShowNoMercy wrote:NIce first gun! The only thing I would suggest would be to move the sprinkler valve up towards the barrel to lessen dead space and then have the barrel and chamber a bit more close together. But other than my pet peeves nicely done!

That will certainly be incorporated next time around. Thanks!

veginator wrote:that is one sweet gun to be your first. you really did your research on this one. :D

Thanks, I hate to think what it would have turned out like if not for this site.

Spuddin wrote:Cornflake that is a really cool gun man, nice job. btw i like that workbench!

Thanks, but I promise its usually cleaner than that. :oops:

cornflake_81
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Thu May 24, 2007 2:31 pm

Great looking gun.

potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Mitchza89 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:21 am

Damn thats an unreal 1st attempt. I take my hat off to you. I shall look forward to see more cannons from you in the future.

All the best mate,

Mitch.

Mitchza89
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Database