Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 64 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 58 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MCRKilljoy, MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Need some help with my launcher build

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Need some help with my launcher build

Unread postAuthor: Cabeza_dura » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:39 am

I started making plans for a nerf launcher I want to build for use in paintball big games with my teams. I have a general idea of what I want to do, and since its been quite a while since HS chemistry for me Im having a bit of trouble going about how to build the air reservoir chamber. Since its my first, but hopefully not last, build I wanted to do an easy set-up with a ball valve for firing and a tire valve and pump to fill the air reservoir. Problem is once Im on the field, I dont want to have to lug around a tire pump as well as the launcher to fill the tank for one shot. I was tinkering with the idea of using my markers HPA tank as an air source and a hose to connect it to the LAWs air chamber to fill it quick. My question is what kind of valve would I need to put in the chamber so that a remote line can attach to it, and also using that setup will I be able to remove the remote line once i get the chamber pressurized to the right psi so I dont exceed the field's FPS for launchers? I dont want to make it more complicated than that and dont feel i have the experience yet to start tinkering with regulators and modding sprinkler valves. Any help I can get with this would be greatly appreciated. I'll scan my sketches once I get my scanner hooked up so you can have an idea of what my launcher will look like (sorry for the long post)

Cabeza_dura
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: hi » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:07 am

ive never taken cemestry and i build air tanks all the time. you take a length of pipe and glue a cap on and you got one of the best air chambers around.

from what you are describing i can think of two designes that suit you. the top one is (A) and the lower one is (B).

i recommend A because you can fit the co2 and regulator between the barrel and the chamber. its also a little more compact.

if you have any more questions i will help the best i can.

edit- you if you dont want to mess with regulators you could make a back pack like this-

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Cabeza_dura » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:17 am

thanks for the feedback, my launcher has a breech loader that the handle uses to open from the bottom of the barrel so A is not an option. Im going with the in-line look. My problem comes in with the filling of the air chamber. Like I said before, I could uses a regular tire valve and bike pump to fill the chamber, but I dont want to have to bring all that on the field with me. Is there any way to attach a remote hose, and quickly detach it once the chamber is pressurized, from my HPA (high pressure air) tank from my paintball marker to the air chamber? and if so what kind of valve would that be? thanks for the help

PS- what program is that that you use to make the diagrams? thanks again

Cabeza_dura
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: hi » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:25 am

if you want a hpa tank you need a regulator. with out it the cannon blows up.

it is possible to use fill it with the tank and then detach it. just get a regulator and put a schrader fill valve to fill it. ( a bike tire valve is called a schrader valve)

that i know of there is no way to fill from a paint ball gun. im not experianced with comercial paintball guns, so you will have to get someone else on that one. i usually make my own, but never for competiton. :wink:

i got the program here at, it was posted by pvc arsenal a few day ago, it works well for me.

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/cannon- ... 10110.html

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:26 am

If you don't want to deal with regulators for HPA or Co2 tanks or tire pumps.

My suggestions is to build the chamber out of galvanized pipe, duel ball valves, one to fire one to charge the chamber, and HPA or Co2 tank always connected with an ASA adaptor.

OR

A simple Launcher, chamber, valve, barrel, fill the chamber with a quick disconnect, a Co2 or HPA regulator connects to the chamber throught the QD, if you want to disconnect the air supply add a valve on the regulator. With little work, you can make a good regulated air supply out of a cheap Tippmann regulator, 1/8" pipe plug, 3/4" 10-32 screw, 1/4" pipe plug, Teplon tape, and some drill bits and a 10-32 tap.

K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple ******"

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Orpackrat » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:30 am

hi wrote:that i know of there is no way to fill from a paint ball gun. im not experianced with comercial paintball guns, so you will have to get someone else on that one. i usually make my own, but never for competiton. :wink:

That I know of, there is no paintball gun that will fill at the pressure he wants but a little bit ago I build such a system on my paintball gun. Now I have a quick disconnect right next to the ASA.

K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple ******"

Orpackrat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion