Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

silicone grease

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
silicone grease

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:46 pm

i heard somewhere that you can seal breaches on breach loading launchers with this, is it true and does it work? if it does how would you use it.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:50 pm

You mean seal the part that slides over the open breach yea? It'll work better as a lubricant for an o-ring. Cut a small groove on either side of the opening and put in an o-ring, then use the grease as a lube.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:19 pm

would the groove be alright in sch 40 pvc, and how would i be able to cut it with no specialized tools.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:22 pm

Well, you may be able to seal it just with the grease come to think of it. Just depends on the viscocity of the stuff. If it's good and thick, you can probably just use that. But you'll have to replace it every now and then, some will get into the barrel every time you slide the cover and get shot out along with your projectile. As long as your outer cover that you're sliding over the hole fits pretty good, the grease should be fine. I should have said that earlier.

If you do decide to cut the groove, you don't really need special tools, just a steady hand. And you don't cut it very deep at all, just deep enough for the o-ring to sit and not move.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:33 pm

what would i use to cut it? and if i wanted to seal a 3/4" pipe to a 3/4" pipe inside a 1" pipe would the silicone work?

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: dongfang » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:50 pm

Hi,

I had lots of success with cutting O-ring grooves with a Dremel, mounted to the Dremel mill table. It´s not all that expensive, and very useful.

A circle saw set VERY shallow could also be used. Ideally, a lathe.

But for the breech loader, consider to cut (file) one side off one 3/4" pipe. Look around everywhere you go for a pipe that fits really tight over the 3/4" pipe; like it´s made for that. You will find something eventually.

Grease will not seal other than quite small gaps, and not where there is pressure for an extended period o time - the pressure will simply push out the grease.

Regards
Soren

dongfang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:04 pm

i am planning on using 1" pipe over the 3/4" so grease could probably seal that gap.

also what size of o-ring would i need to seal it ( the o-ring would be in 1" pipe) and would it just seal by being pushed through the o-ring.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:05 pm

sorry forgot to add this in my last post, do you put the o ring on the outside of the 3/4" i am assuming yes because you said a circular saw could be used to cut a groove.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:16 pm

There are a couple other ways to cut grooves for O-rings.

A V-shaped router router bit on a router table or mounted in a drill press works well. A fence parallel to the pipe to push the pipe against and another fence, perpendicular to the first, to push the end of the pipe against, keeps the groove square to the pipe axis and a uniform distance from the end of the pipe.

Or, a triangular file and a steady hand, like paaiyan said.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion