Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 39 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 33 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

New Valve idea

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
New Valve idea

Unread postAuthor: CannonCreator » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:40 am

Ok, I recently came up with this new idea for a valve. I call it the compression piston. The piston is located inside the camber of a pneumatic cannon. The piston has a great high pressure seal. When you make a cannon that would have this piston on it, the scharder valve were you fill the cannon would be in front of the chamber. On the back of the chamber there is a crank that is connected to a long bolt that is connected to the back on the piston.

What you would do is this. First you would fill the chamber with air. Then what you would do is twist the crank as far as you can thorugh the chamber. What this would do is boost your psi in the chamber, allowing the air to escape the chamber faster when the cannon is fired.

What do you guys think of the idea?

CannonCreator
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: TwitchTheAussie » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:45 am

I think some pics would be nice.

Raise your horns if you love metal.
spudgunning is like sex, once you've tasted, you can't wait til next time.
-
CpTn_lAw
TwitchTheAussie
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: hi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:54 am

wait, you have to crank it open? that sounds mightly slow to me... plus, getting the crank airtight is a engineering feat it's self.

ps- if i am wrong, discard this post.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:58 am

I believe you are correct hi, as a ginger beer i fully agree with your comments, back to the drawing board on this one CC :)

Edit: it may be possible if you were to use a pnuematic actuator instead of the crank, but it would cost an arm and a leg :

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:01 am

It's interesting, but I think the increase in pressure would be offset by the dead volume created when the piston is opened. If you are pushing the piston forward, the dead space is occupied by the piston, and when the piston moves, the dead space is occupied by the air, decreasing power. (This is all assuming that I interpreted your description correctly) However, I think the idea has some potential. Try it, and tell us how it goes! Some schematics would be nice too! :D

Yeah, we wouldn't want to anger the bees, now would we??

I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES!

LMAO Classic!!!! I love Family Guy!
Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: CannonCreator » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:01 am

ok thanks, Im drwaing up more stuff right now.

CannonCreator
Captain
Captain

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion