Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Building a Pneu

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Building a Pneu

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:05 am

I am currently designing a pneumatic cannon to use with paintball. The configuration will be that of a rifle and the barrel 1" sch 40. It will shoot about 10 paintballs at a time to give a small shotgun effect. It will be a revolver.

What I am wanting to know is opinion. Which would be cooler / more intimidating; a pump action or a semi-auto type?

Any input is welcome, especially from other paintballers.

Edit: Another question - The valve I plan on using with this will be a diaphragm. Will I notice an increase in performance if I were to add a burst disc valve after the diaphragm?

Last edited by Hubb on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:43 am

What I am wanting to know is opinion. Which would be cooler / more intimidating; a pump action or a semi-auto type?

If the pump-action makes an authentic shotgun-cocking sound, that will.

Last edited by Fnord on Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:48 am

Racking a pump action will always be more intimidating, but in a paintball scenario would you really want to stand in the open going *click CLICK* while everyone else is shooting at you?

Semi-auto would be the dog's danglies, but pump action will definitely be easier to make and more reliable, plus there's the added benefit of not having to use your limited on-board air supply to cycle the action.

I'm guessing what you want would look something likes this: http://rap4.com/paintball/os/rap4-revol ... p-931.html

Why not make it a combustion with pre-filled cartridges?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: noname » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:19 pm

You don't want 1" Sch 40 as a barrel, even if you want the paintballs to shotgun out all over. First, the ID is too small to allow more than one ball inside at once, so they have to be in single file. This will make the cartridges or whatever 6-8" long. 1" PVC is also a terrible fit for paintballs. If you want them to shotgun with a somewhat accurate grouping, use a 3/4" Sch 40 barrel. A 1" barrel will give you a 10+ foot spread from 20 feet away.

noname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:14 am

I've thought and decided to go with pump action. I've also thought some more and decided to use 3/4" barrel.

This is my representation of how I would get the revolver to seal. It allows for the shells to fall into place without the pump having to be exact (which makes the build easier).

When the shell rotates, it compresses springs and it falls into the flared ends of the pipe. Once the shell is in place, the springs push against the shell and help to seal it and keep it aligned.

Attachments
Untitled-2007-09-05_040650.JPG
Untitled-2007-09-05_040650.JPG (15.7 KiB) Viewed 345 times
Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: spud yeti » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:20 am

I think that pump action should be used for its ease and coolness, because I just built a semi-auto paintball (nearly done), and it was/is a mofo to build! Pump action is cool too, but I guess it depends what you want it for, "strategical and 1-shot" style, or "blast them to hell and back!", both having pros and cons.
I would recommend pump action though, even though semi-auto is awesome.

really good quote/phrase here
spud yeti
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:26 am

I have to say I would go pump on this one. I just want to see the look on someone's face when you stand behind them, *clickClick*. Surrender. Haha.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."
-General Douglass MacArthur

Read my dog's blog - Life of Kilo
paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: spud yeti » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:30 am

I have to say I would go pump on this one. I just want to see the look on someone's face when you stand behind them, *clickClick*. Surrender. Haha.

LOL, that would be awesome!

spud yeti
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:33 am

spud yeti wrote:

LOL, that would be awesome!

Of course it's awesome. Cause you know that shotgun cocking sound is the universal sound for, "You're pretty much hosed, just give up." If you do it you need to find a way to make it sound realistic, even if it doesn't add to the functionality of the gun.

And I can say as a paintballer, if someone just pops out with a semi, I'm gonna blow them away, but if I know someones hauling a PB shotty around and I hear it, I can safely say that I'd be diving for cover, cause God knows I don't want to get hit with 10 300FPS paintballs at once.

"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons."

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: spud yeti » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:06 pm

cause God knows I don't want to get hit with 10 300FPS paintballs at once.

Amen :D

I wonder how you could get the sound though, because its quite a 'heavy' click noise. Perhaps metal clicking past a spring loaded stopper (like on scooters to adjust the height, just a lot weaker)

spud yeti
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: paaiyan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:12 pm

I don't know, but I personally like the idea enough that I would try to get it just right. You may not care, that's just me.

paaiyan
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:53 pm

I was thinking along the same lines as paaiyan. The intimidation factor from a pump will outweigh the slightly faster shots of a semi. It will be PVC sliding against PVC but I will place a specially made noise maker just to make the noise.

Also, I was thinking of investing in a small spy type camera to mount on my paintball markers so I can capture the action.

"10 rounds of paint at once, $1. PVC cannon, $100. The look on the face of your next victim, priceless."

Oh. I was going to make it a revolver. What do you guys think about the sealing diagram above? Will it work?

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion