Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 50 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Grill Master Damage Video

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Grill Master Damage Video

Unread postAuthor: Dornep » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:55 pm

I've been in the process of building a piston valved golf ball cannon over the last week. The piston didn't exactly work out so I decided to throw and old sprinkler valve on the barrel union and see how that worked.

It worked just fine but it had a small leak so I sealed it with JB weld. While the JB weld was curing I took my old steel ball valved pneumatic apart and put the sprinkler valve on it. I then took the 1" inch brass ball valve off th steel cannon and put it on the new cannon. I did this just to entertain myself until the JB weld had cured on the sprinkler valve.

It's very simple and I don't really have any pictures of it but I did take a few videos of it in action. The video I put together is short but funny.

It has a 3" SCH80 chamber and a newly scavenged 1" ball valve with a 1" barrel that's way too short.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7mRH40bEmc[/youtube]

Dornep
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:01 pm

not bad for a ball valve but a piston or sprinkler valve will be dramatically more effective. Beware of ricochets shooting at hard objects at such close range :shock: and also, good choice of old school redneck Metallica anthems :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Dornep » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:14 pm

I was debating on whether or not I should go with Shoot To Thrill by ACDC... lol:) I think it's hard not to come off as a redneck when your shooting spud guns.... o well :D

I hate ball valves with a passion.. I damn near have to slap this one to get it open quickly, and when your slapping stuff while trying to aim.. Things tend to fly off in different directions at high rates of speed which isn't a good thing.

As I said in the video, I took a second shot at the cinder block with the steel handle from a fire place fire poker. I took a video of it with my cellphone but it was almost dark and didn't turn out very good so I left it out of the video. The block shattered and the rod continued traveling so I don't have any pic's of it, it was hefty though with a fair amount of recoil.

Dornep
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:21 pm

As I said in the video, I took a second shot at the cinder block with the steel handle from a fire place fire poker. I took a video of it with my cellphone but it was almost dark and didn't turn out very good so I left it out of the video. The block shattered and the rod continued traveling so I don't have any pic's of it, it was hefty though with a fair amount of recoil.

heavier projectile -> slower acceleration -> slow ball valve opening time doesn't matter as much

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion