Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 43 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Modifying Solenoid Valve, Yet Maintainging Electric Trigger?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Spudnik Tweaker » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:43 pm

Quick question to you, Williamfeldman: Does your modded CP-100 honk at all?

Spudnik Tweaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Spudnik Tweaker » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:56 pm

williamfeldmann wrote:I actually believe it might be possible with the Rianbird to enlarge the holes in the solenoid system for increased flow and faster activation. I have to make a run through Menards tonight so I'll grab another valve and check it out. The solenoid on the Rainbird is huge in comparison to the Orbit, and the base/sealing face is basically the whole face at the bottom of the threads in the picture from my earlier post.

It does work, Will. I recently tried and tested it and it holds the charged pressure too.

What I did was I used a tiny dremel pointed grinder bit to enlarge the pilot "exhaust" hole (the hole that the solenoid seats directly above). The reason I used the pointy bit was so that the enlargening of the hole would remain dead center -- it works much like a step drill bit. A normal drill bit could easily slide around during drilling, resulting in a misalignment with the solenoid sealing ring.

I had to be very careful with the pilot exhause drilling.

My only question is whether or not the inlet port to the solenoid could be enlarged.
Will, I think that you may be confused, mixing up which port hole is the in let and outlet.

The hole that enters the solenoid's threaded chamber is the one that the solenoid does not rest above. And the hole that the solenoid's ring seals is the pilot outlet hole -- this is the tougher one to deal with, as being precise is a must.

The inlet port that leads air into the solenoid's isolated, threaded chamber
is actually the easy part o deal with. You don't really have to be precise when enlargening that hole, since nothing seats directly on top of it.

Spudnik Tweaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Spudnik Tweaker » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:47 pm

Here is a labelled diagram of the Rain Bird's upper lid, to make things more clear:

Spudnik Tweaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion