Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Thoughts on my first cannon?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 

Should I finish my gun?

No, trash it. It wont work PERIOD.
No votes
Go ahead, it's fine.
55%
You can, but it's going to be terrible.
45%

Total votes : 11
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:48 pm

hubb017 wrote:I agree with windshrike on the stock. Maybe make all the fittings flush with each other, like this.

As far as configuration goes, I personally like the barrel longer than the chamber. I would also keep the valve as close to the ammo as possible to eliminate deadspace. Also, in that third picture (the one I am suggesting) you should take away that smaller pipe from behind the valve.

Hmm...If I did that design, I think I'd have to make the gun lonjger width wise...I'll try it out and see how it looks. About that small peice of pipe behind the valve...It connects my male adaptor to the bushing that I'm using so I cant really eliminate it...

And I'm not sure I understand what you're saying windshrike...

Thanks for your help!

HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:04 pm

Okay, check out the pics. Maybe they will make more sense.

Attachments
design.jpg
Don't change your design. Just use the stock part. Shorten the pieces of pipe in between the fittings.
design.jpg (36.5 KiB) Viewed 260 times
untitled.jpg
You should shorten this part.
Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:11 pm

oic...

I'll post pics of what that looks like in a sec...

Also, what porgram are you using to make that picture?
I think it would help alot when I am building my next gun :twisted:

Here's how it looks with the mods you suggested:

Better?

HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Now that's a cannon :)

Standby for that program. It was threaded not too long ago. I'll try to find it again but you may can search for it.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Modderxtrordanare » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:34 pm

That is a nice cannon you have now, after some constructive criticism. :)

Pneumatically mod the sprinkler?

Spudding since '05. Proud waster of plumbing and plumbing accessories.

-Wiki
-How-To: Modding a Sprinkler Valve
Modderxtrordanare
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:42 pm

hubb017 wrote:Now that's a cannon :)

Standby for that program. It was threaded not too long ago. I'll try to find it again but you may can search for it.

Cool, thanks.

That is a nice cannon you have now, after some constructive criticism.

Pneumatically mod the sprinkler?

That's for next weekend :wink:

Thanks everyone for your help...I will get on to solvent welding straight away....

Also is is tokay for me to be tapping a hole in my endcap?...I tried testing drilliing one on some of my extra PVC I had left over, but it was WAY too hard to hold it still so I figured use the endcap....is that okay to do?

HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: windshrike » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:14 pm

Sure; just be sure to use lots of teflon tape or sealant when putting in the fitting.

windshrike
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:50 pm

@HaiThar: The program I used to make that picture can be found here in this thread by PVC Arsenal 17.

It is a pretty neat program, even though it is missing some pieces and doesn't do scaled diagrams. It does give a general idea of what the cannon will look like, which is one very good thing to have before construction.

One problem I did find is in the saving of pictures. It saves fine, however, it only saves in .bmp format. PixRev is a program that can convert almost any image format to almost any other image format, as .gif, .jpg, .png, .tga, and .tif image formats are the only ones allowed on Spudfiles. This program can convert .bmp to any of these. Do note, however, that the program is Italian but it is so simple to use that you do not need to read it.

Any more questions, just ask. :)

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:34 pm

Yea, your cooking with gas now. It's going to be alot easier to handle configured like it is now. Next pictures you post should be of something getting blown to bits and pieces :twisted: !

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: williamfeldmann » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:49 pm

I like the look you have gotten to now. One note, if youare planning on modding that valve in the future, you might want to consider if the blowgun will be mounted straight out of the valve or if you are going to use some air hose.

If straight to blowgun you will want to compensate for the space for the blowgun since you have a nice compact design. The easiest way is to make it so the chamber sits offset from the barrel and the blowgun can come basically straight down. It will keep you nice compact look. Adjust the stock part so the chamber is rotated just an inch or so away from your dominant (trigger pulling) hand.

If using an air hose you shouldn't have any problems since you can run airhose all day long to get where you want the gun to be.

Looks awesome. I can't wait to see it all painted up.

BTW if that is the Rainbird jar top valve, you will probably want to follow my mod program for Rainbird's (they a bit different from Orbits). I used a different valve, but the procedure is basically the same just ports are in different places. You can find it here http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/pnematic-mod-for-rainbird-cp-100-sprinkler-valve-t10489.html.

[/b]

williamfeldmann
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:51 pm

hubb017 wrote:@HaiThar: The program I used to make that picture can be found here in this thread by PVC Arsenal 17.

It is a pretty neat program, even though it is missing some pieces and doesn't do scaled diagrams. It does give a general idea of what the cannon will look like, which is one very good thing to have before construction.

One problem I did find is in the saving of pictures. It saves fine, however, it only saves in .bmp format. PixRev is a program that can convert almost any image format to almost any other image format, as .gif, .jpg, .png, .tga, and .tif image formats are the only ones allowed on Spudfiles. This program can convert .bmp to any of these. Do note, however, that the program is Italian but it is so simple to use that you do not need to read it.

Any more questions, just ask. :)

Thanks so much!

jrrdw wrote:Yea, your cooking with gas now. It's going to be alot easier to handle configured like it is now. Next pictures you post should be of something getting blown to bits and pieces !

Damage pics coming maybe in a day?

HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:53 pm

williamfeldmann wrote:I like the look you have gotten to now. One note, if youare planning on modding that valve in the future, you might want to consider if the blowgun will be mounted straight out of the valve or if you are going to use some air hose.

If straight to blowgun you will want to compensate for the space for the blowgun since you have a nice compact design. The easiest way is to make it so the chamber sits offset from the barrel and the blowgun can come basically straight down. It will keep you nice compact look. Adjust the stock part so the chamber is rotated just an inch or so away from your dominant (trigger pulling) hand.

If using an air hose you shouldn't have any problems since you can run airhose all day long to get where you want the gun to be.

Looks awesome. I can't wait to see it all painted up.

BTW if that is the Rainbird jar top valve, you will probably want to follow my mod program for Rainbird's (they a bit different from Orbits). I used a different valve, but the procedure is basically the same just ports are in different places. You can find it here http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/pnematic-mod-for-rainbird-cp-100-sprinkler-valve-t10489.html.

[/b]

Thanks! If and when I do mod it, I will most likely use a hose(because there doesnt seem like there's any point NOT to), so it shouldnt be a problem.... The only thing I have left to do now is fix up a paint job.... Anyone have any suggestions? :D

Also, I did a horrible job on the priming...will paint cover it up?

Last edited by HaiThar on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: silverdooty » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:54 pm

nice, it looks intimidating now. a coat of paint will bring it all together.

silverdooty
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:00 pm

Krylon Fusion the crap out of it!!

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: williamfeldmann » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:00 pm

I personnally like either a camo or a flat paint. They are hard to find in a Fusion or other plastic specific paint. The easiest way to paint with them is to by a plastic primer (once again Fusion or whatever brand) and give it two good coats of primer. Follow that with whatever color you so desire. If you plan on "aiming" it by looking down the barrel, I would definitely suggest a flat paint as it won't reflect sunlight. You can paint the valve as well although some people don't.

If you choose to take the barrel off the tank for convienece in transporting, or to work on your valve ever, use duct tape around the threads of the adapters to keep paint off them.

EDIT: spelling, one day I adapt and learn to use the spell check button

williamfeldmann
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion