Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 60 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Safety Question

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:00 pm

OR just say its a free for all and the field is not responsible for any injury's you may sustain while playing. You can crank your gun all the way up and shoot auto or whatever. (That should please the regular paint ballers) And if you got a cannon, shoot it.

But yea your new edits seem to be better, but you had better have a big field or a cannoner would not want to play.

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:02 pm

ShowNoMercy wrote:OR just say its a free for all and the field is not responsible for any injury's you may sustain while playing. You can crank your gun all the way up and shoot auto or whatever. (That should please the regular paint ballers) And if you got a cannon, shoot it.

But yea your new edits seem to be better, but you had better have a big field or a cannoner would not want to play.

The field is of adequate size. Also, each person is going to sign a waiver before they play (under 18, parents will sign). Each player will also sign out for a copy of the rules to the field.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:03 pm

Any shot fired at a player will be fired at a minimum distance of 20 feet and at a minimum angle of 40 degrees.

You can remove the need for a ref by keeping the "heavy artillery" at a safe distance away from the actual combat in a supporting role, just as they would be in real combat.

Do you intend to allow strafers on the field? In this case I would stress the need for a "cardboard test" because as has been often pointed out, a strafer might have sufficiently low velocity but at close range the high rate of fire would concnetrate impacts and still have the potential to break skin.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:04 pm

I don't believe strafers are going to be allowed. (Can you point me to a link that has a paintball strafer? That strikes my interest.)

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:05 pm

hubb017 wrote:I don't believe strafers are going to be allowed. (Can you point me to a link that has a paintball strafer? That strikes my interest.)

oops, my bad, I forgot this was paintball, not airsoft :oops: I don't know of any succesful paintball strafer, the ammo is too delicate to survive the abuse in the chamber.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:08 pm

As far as that free for all goes: That will probably only be allowed between my close friends (people I trust that won't try to sue if they get hurt). We've done it before and it is a rush.

Specs:
Players go back to back with one tank and one hopper. A player is eliminated if 1) he runs out of paint, 2) he runs out of air, or 3) he forfeits.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:09 pm

I would suggest regulators to a certain pressure for everyone... I.E. Everyone must have a regulator regulating x PSI or less..

HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:09 pm

Just a warning, even if someone signs a piece of paper waiving you of responsibility, because they payed for the service you are and always will be liable and no matter what happens you can always be sued for some one else lack of intelligence.

ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:10 pm

Yeah, I know. I've spoken to a lawyer about it. I'll make it legal to cover my a**. Also, I am the kind of person that just likes to play so I probably won't charge anyone at first (other than air).

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:12 pm

Well then go forth and create happiness for paint ballers. Btw where are you located? I am always interested in a field that lets me play with my cannon. :lol:

ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:15 pm

Also, grenades and mines to be must be checked or approved by you or your staff?

HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:06 pm

Well my say on this is that im pretty sure air cannons can be in scenario paintball. I love strategy computer games, like rise of nations RA2, Age of Empires 3 and other games similar to those. But anyway, in any strategy game, you want to have different setup depending on what your enemy is using as a unti, ie cavalry, heavy infantry, light infantry, artillery etc. Now in any setup of units, you always have the cannons in the back of all your units, just like in war movies. So in this basis i suggest you get a large field at first, so that you have some good range to use you cannons sufficiently. Then you want to have the cannos shoot at an angle of about 45 degrees or larger or smaller, depending on your range of fire. And you already have a set psi and fps so you should be good. Just try to get a bigger field. Then you will have fun.

LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Redcoat » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:06 pm

Are these pneumatic cannons going to be stationary or are you able to move them?

Stationary would provide opportunities to be out flanked etc. I think that making them portable would make the bearer near indestructible. Keeping them stationary would be good, but put them in really tricky places, that are concealed but have a good arc of fire.

I have never played pant ball so please go easy on the criticism

Poo.
Redcoat
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: grumpy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:17 am

ok first hubb knows that i play paintball and yes we use many types of air and co2powered cannons ,launchers, morters, landmines and booby traps. even tanks mounted with cannons and paintball machine guns. and have rules about there uses in games.
and yes we use both stationary cannons and portable shoulder fired launchers.
hubb , i would sugest using the G.S.R.P. for safety.

The following rules apply to all Single Round Projectile Launchers (SRPLs), Personal Air Cannons (PACs), and Law rocket launchers (LAWs).

These SRPLs must chronograph under a speed of 230 FPS (all the time) during day and night play.

Each and every personal SRPL must be shown to the event director prior to play and be approved.

Each and every SRPL must be chronographed with the event head ref / ultimate present before it can or will be allowed on the field of play.

All SRPLs must have a system or device for plugging the barrel to stop accidental discharges while in any safe area.

These SRPLs must use 2" Nerf rounds - NO paint can be used in these units, unless provided by game management only!

MORTARS:

Mortars can be used in the games. Each Mortar must be pre-approved by the event director before it will be allowed on the field. Mortars must always fire at a minimum 45 degree arc or greater. Mortars can not be DIRECT FIRED at ground personnel. Mortars may fire the 2" Nerf rounds. Mortars may fire loose paintballs.

Mortars may NOT fire surgical tubes, NOR impact rounds!

grumpy
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:31 am

Are you restricting the ammo to paintballs? If not, then the pressure and muzzle velocity limitations are worthless. You need to limit the total kinetic energy of the weapon.

Even in paintball, the limits are really based on kinetic energy of the rounds. Since paintballs have standard masses the kinetic energy is proportional to the square of the velocity and velocity all by itself can be used as the safety standard.

If you don't have standard ammo then pressure and muzzle velocity limitations are worthless from a safety standpoint.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion