Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 58 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Now that's a nail gun

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Now that's a nail gun

Unread postAuthor: clide » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:00 pm

I've seen some big nail guns including one that took up half a pallet and I couldn't lift, which oddly enough was designed exactly like the hand held ones but scaled up, but this one takes the cake. It shoots 20 foot nails into the dirt

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=s ... l+launcher

Looking at the patents it has a very interesting design. Looks like it has a sabot with a lip on the side that doubles as a burst disk. They pump air into a chamber that is sealed at the front by the sabot and at the back by a smaller second disk on the nail. When the sabot breaks free it carries the nail forward from the front and the pressure keeps the rear disk sealed until the end of the nail rips it off, and the sabot is stripped with a sabot stripper in the front.

Last edited by clide on Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clide
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Redcoat » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:02 pm

CLide, that link doesn't work, it just goes straight to google video.

Poo.
Redcoat
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: clide » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:08 pm

Hmm, really? Works for me. Its supposed to link to the search results of several videos of the launcher, not one specific video. The search was "soil nail launcher", so if it doesn't work you can manually enter that search until somebody can help me get a link that works for everybody.

clide
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:11 pm

Worked for me. I wonder how many fps it punches the nails out at?
Imagine the fun you could have demolishing everything with it :twisted: :twisted:

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: clide » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:18 pm

Novacastrian wrote:Worked for me. I wonder how many fps it punches the nails out at?
Imagine the fun you could have demolishing everything with it :twisted: :twisted:

The highest figure I saw was 250 mph or about 360 fps. Pretty impressive for such a heavy projectile and relatively short barrel. I wonder how much pressure they are using...I'd also like to see what kind of range it would get.

clide
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:22 pm

Replace the nail with "missile" you would get plenty of range. Maybe even half a mile *wild guess* :) The velocity would increase heaps with a lighter projectile.

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Redcoat » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:33 am

When I clicked it nothing happened it says there is nothing "no search results". It works now but when I clicked on it before when i made my other post on this thread it was spelt "soile nail launcher"

Poo.
Redcoat
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion