Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 54 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

1.5" Sprinkler Valve piloted by QEV?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
1.5" Sprinkler Valve piloted by QEV?

Unread postAuthor: MaxuS » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:41 am

Hi everyone, i temporarily installed a blowgun into my 1.5" sprinkler valve just until a was able to put my 1/2" QEV on it and use that to pilot the sprinkler valve. Now, i tried connecting the QEV onto the sprinkler valve via the Chamber port, but the sprinkler valve constantly pilots..
Its not a question of leaking connection, because the connection of the QEV port to the pilot hole is completely leak free and airtight.
I've looked through every page of the pneumatic discussion section and most of the pneumatic cannon showcase section of spudfiles and found nothing on the topic.
I know that somebody will probably tell me to search harder, but when i try to search for specific things like 'Sprinkler Valve piloted by QEV', i get 13572 results....

So, any help would be very much appreciated.

MaxuS
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:19 am

I got 5 matches

You need the "search for all terms" option selected to search effectively ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MaxuS » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:43 am

Ahh thankyou jack

MaxuS
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:22 am

No problem :) actually, I think this is one of the reasons why newbies despair using the search function, perhaps PC GUY could set "search for all terms" as default in the same way it is for the spudtech archive?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: silverdooty » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:29 am

gentoo forums have a thread on why phpbb search sucks and several suggestions for better results

check it out here:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=33345

silverdooty
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:26 pm

You are filling through the QEV, correct? Most are only able to be filled via the fill port, not the chamber port. If you're pumping air directly into your gun's chamber (which would pressurize the QEV through its chamber port) then there's no doubt the QEV won't seal. Sprinkler valves are different, they allow for filling directly from the chamber because they have a calibrated equilization hole. Hence, they only have two ports- inlet & outlet.

If you are filling through the QEV, how do you do it? I usually use schrader valves to fill my QEVs but I find that removing the air chuck/bike pump allows the smallest amount of air to leak by through the schrader. Considering QEVs are as sensitive as they are to pressure decrease, this leak is usually just enough to pilot the whole thing. If you're having this problem, I would suggest switching to an air hose coupling with a ball valve. Or if you can get a hold of a small check valve, thread that in before the schrader.

Hope this helps!

PS. Post some pictures if you can. I'm about to do the same thing using a 2" Sprinkler valve and a 3/4" QEV.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MaxuS » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:33 pm

Sod it, i'll use my QEV for piloting my homemade 3" piston valve when its finished. The blowgun seems to suffice quite well....

MaxuS
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: PVC Arsenal 17 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:49 pm

What?

I didn't understand that.

PVC Arsenal 17
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:03 pm

He is going to carry on using his blow gun to pilot the sprinkler valve and he instead will put the QEV on another cannon which will pilot the cannons 3" piston valve, even though the blow gun has minimal flow it seems to do the job good enough on the S valve.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: MaxuS » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:30 pm

Indeed, well the inside diameter of the stem of the sprinkler valve is a perfect fit for a 1/4" bsp fitting, the outside of the stem is the perfect size to thread a 1/2" bsp ball valve onto it, so maybe i'll try that tomorrow.

MaxuS
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion