Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 38 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Hair/Bodyspray Air Tank

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Hair/Bodyspray Air Tank

Unread postAuthor: Tsukiten » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:04 pm

Hey guys, I'm currently working on my semi-auto pneumatic piston (bb?) gun working on an homemade airtank :D Since there is no way I can get portable (cheap) airtanks, especially in my country, I've came on the idea to use a hair/bodyspray can as a tank. It's hard, metal, and it's made to hold pressure...

I managed to drill a hole in the back and glue a bike valve in it (still needs to dry, and don't worry, it's the mother of all glues I'm using)
The can I'm currently using is just about 4 cm(about 1 1/2 inches) in diameter and 8 cm tall (a bit more than 3 inches). It's small yes but it's for a small, portable pocket gun. :twisted:

But the big question is: Does it work? :shock: I think it should work perfectly but what worries me is that I've seen NO ONE who did this before so yeah that's why I wonder...

Anyone has/had experiences with this or thoughts? Plz tell!! :shock:
Thanks--

If you experience glitches and/or distortions in the space-time in close proximity to yourself, the above post may be an alteration of the truth.

Tsukiten
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:08 pm

How much pressure are you going to run it at and how are you going to fill the tank?

The reason I ask is because it may be easier to use a storebought portable tank that can hold a lot higher pressures.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Tsukiten » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:13 pm

Enough to shoot a bb-like object through a 3-4 inch long barrel at about 200-300 FPS, something like that...
If it can do that, then I'm pleased :shock:

But sorry I can't say how much PSI, I have very little experience with that...

P.S. How much PSI would be needed to make a 3+ shot semi? :D

Edit: Whoops forgot about how to fill it :oops:
It has a bike valve so I'm using a pump since I don't have alot of that kind of hardware...
Also a pump is alot more portable :roll:

If you experience glitches and/or distortions in the space-time in close proximity to yourself, the above post may be an alteration of the truth.

Tsukiten
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:24 pm

Can't you just get an airtank off ebay for like $30 and pump it up with a bike pump?

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Location: Searcy, Arkansas (college) and Memphis, TN (hometown)

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:25 pm

This would all depend on your valve. Check the site for semi-auto ideas because this concept is going to be more difficult than you realize.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Tsukiten » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:28 pm

Haha the valve's a laugh :o :lol:
It's probably too simple to work efficiently... :D I'll post a drawing soon...

P.S. About buying an airtank on ebay:
1. My tank has to be small, light, and most important: Very ghetto :D
2. It's cool to have it homemade, and I'm planning on producing enough to give my friends some so it has to be easy-to-get cheap stuff...sorry

Tsukiten
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:38 pm

I guess I am missing your point. :(

What I can gather, you are wanting to make a BB gun that shoots 2 to 3 shots at 200 to 300fps, semi-auto style, but you want to do this by using a hairspray can?

I don't think it is going to work like you want it to because you are not going to get the tank up to the pressure needed. You may can get one shot at that velocity, but that's about it.

Assuming you are going to have a secondary chamber for your gun. If so, a portable airtank can be done, but I feel a hairspray can is going to be too small for what you want.

Anyway, I will stop because I am confused. I will wait on that diagram to try and understand better. Who knows, it may be inovative and you obtain followers :twisted:

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Tsukiten » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:45 pm

Followers...sound good :twisted:
But unfortunally I *might* not have time to finish the diagram today, since my dad can storm in my room anytime (haha he's strict and I should be sleepin' by long...)

Maybe tomorrow...
G'nite

(And thanks to all of spudfiles for being so active and helpful :) , never seen such before!)

Tsukiten
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: wannabie » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:59 pm

i thought of this idea but when i ran it past my mum she wouldn't let me because when you drill into the can to screw in the valve it will create heat which could ignite the butane ( or what ever the propellant is ) even if the can is empty there could still be some in there, so watch out.

In epoxy we trust.
wannabie
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:06 pm

Why not make your own tank out of PVC? Probably safer than the can idea...if it blows up on you, you'll be sprayed with metal shrapnel....

HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: windshrike » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:17 pm

@wannabie: fuel inside can't ignite because there is no oxygen present inside it.

@Tsukiten: PVC is a much safer idea, and if I may, what country do you live in?

windshrike
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Acdcmonkey1991 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:18 pm

Since it is an aluminum tank or w/e it is more likely to rip like coper, but still be careful, you've got your work cut out for you.

VH was awesome!!
Current projects:
C02 Jetpack (CIIJ)
Waterjet vehicle
.177 cal. piston rifle
Acdcmonkey1991
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:25 pm

It won't ignite if you drill into it because there is no oxidiser present inside the can. Even if air got in while you were drilling and it somehow reached the proper mix for ignition, the worst that will happen is a small puff of fire out the hole in the tank. And you will never get a hairspray bottle to produce any shrapnel unless you set off a high explosive inside it. Under normal conditions, they will just rip open.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: f.c » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:41 am

theres a gun on here made bu russo i think. that sounds just like what you want.

f.c
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Tsukiten » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:06 pm

So what people are afraid of here is shrapnel, huh? Some people talk about PVC causing shrapnel...dude...Ok I can not say it doesn't cause I don't have alot of experience but just by looking at it, you are like "How's that supposed to cause shrapnel flyin' around?" :roll:

But besides that: A hairspray can could make a decent air tank, right?

Oh and @Windshrike: I live in The Netherlands (a.k.a. Holland),
The country where NOTHING is allowed :shock: :evil: You can't even have a plastic look-a-like of a gun >_> it sucks over here...when you walk around with a laser pointer in school and you'll get busted there's a chance the POLICE may show up... :x They're all whimps...

Tsukiten
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion