Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Do I have this right?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:34 pm

dapallox1 wrote:I just noticed on a lot of the pvc pipe i have, it says NSF-dwv AND NSF-pw ... some have a psi rating, and others don't... so... What are safe to use?

If it has both, and a pressure rating it's safe. I'm not sure about it though, if it doesn't list a PSI...Does it list a bar pressure?

Kthx, BAI
HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: dapallox1 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:36 pm

Bar pressure? What's that?

dapallox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: HaiThar » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:39 pm

Kthx, BAI
HaiThar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: dapallox1 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:45 pm

Umm, lol, okay, that didn't really explain it to me, but thanks anyways. But back to the piston valve, should i just do a 2", and then a 4" later on? Oh good is a two inch, e.g. How far can I shoot ca golfball with two 4" x 2 1/2' chambers and a 2" barrel?

dapallox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:47 pm

williamfeldmann wrote:[b]Sgort's Slayer Valve
Since when was my name Sgort?

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Location: Searcy, Arkansas (college) and Memphis, TN (hometown)

Unread postAuthor: dapallox1 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:50 pm

origin unknown wrote:
williamfeldmann wrote:[b]Sgort's Slayer Valve
Since when was my name Sgort?

Lol, what do you think I should do?

dapallox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:10 pm

Look at this valve and build one like it (maybe scale it up a bit): http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/c19os-1-5-barrel-sealing-golfball-gun-t10494.html I built one like it and it works great. My slayer valve wasn't worth using for the unreliabilty that came with it. Even Gorts valves break down alot and need to be fixed.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:11 pm

If it has a pressure rating well above what you are using, use it. The pipes at my hardware store sometimes have DWV on them, but ALL are pressure rated to at least 280 psi.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to anger the bees, now would we??

I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES!

LMAO Classic!!!! I love Family Guy!
Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: dapallox1 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:19 pm

Yeah, I figured that

Current Project: 4" Tee Piston Valve
dapallox1
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: williamfeldmann » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:12 am

@Original Unknown

My bad, I mixed up two links in my favorites listing and combined them. In other news I emailed a friend your Mauler thread :wink: , so I get to fix that as well. I edited the original post. Credit where it due.

@dapallox

I would start with a 2 inch. They are easier to get a hold of and work with at first and you aren't the 20 bucks for the tee if you go farking everything up.

As for the 6 inch I have been working on it in my spare time. I am using a 6 inch schedule 80 tee for extra strength. Porting 4 inches for the barrel and piloting using a 2 inch sprinkler I still need to find. My problem has been the piston and building to withstand the force around the sides of the cylinder. When it is finished you can bet you will see it on here.

Trying to figure out how to make a SCUBA first stage regulator work for portable charging station. If only that pesky job thing didn't keep eating up all my time...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
williamfeldmann
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:37 am

If the pipe says NSF-pw, or has a suitable pressure limit printed on it, it is OK to use in a compressed air gun.

The only reason it has the NSF-dwv rating on it is because that is a lower rating and the pipe can be used for that purpose as well. In general, all NSF-pw can also be used as NSF-dwv. The opposite is not true.

NSF = National Sanitation Foundation (international organization that develops standards for the plumbing and other industries)
pw = potable water (a pressurized water application)
dwv = drain, waste, vent (a non pressure application)

A "bar" rating is the same as a PSI rating, just on a different scale. 1 bar = 14.5 PSI ~ 1 ATM

Edit: Williamfeldmann pointed out to me the "pw"= potable water. The spec for potable water, ANSI/NSF 61, apparently includes the pressure rating requirements. Anyone know where there is a copy of ANSI/NSF 61? A google search turned up a gazillion links but I didn't find a link to the actual spec. Searching the NSF site for "NSF-pw" or "ANSI/NSF 61" times out.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: clide » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:11 am

NSF-pw stuff complies to the NSF Standard 14 and Standard 61. I believe 61 is mostly health requirements, and 14 is more of the physical and performance requirements. I haven't been able to find the standards either. I think I may check out if my university library has the book. Looks like they do, but it also looks like it is from '79.

clide
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: origin unknown » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:12 pm

This is another good valve, just wrap the endcap in tape to get a better fit: http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/pvcmasters-new-barrel-sealer-t10086.html

origin unknown
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion