Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 4 registered, 1 hidden and 56 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

1" pipe "bottle neck"?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
1" pipe "bottle neck"?

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:05 pm

I'm using a 1" sprinkler valve with a 2" chamber and 1.5" barrel. I am making it in the "over/under" style, with the valve on the bottom, then 2 90degree corners, and a bushing up to a 1.5" pipe. Will that much 1" pipe make too much of a bottle neck, especially with 90degree bends, and so I should bushing up to 1.5" before the bend, or do you think it will work?

sorry if this is hard to picture, I will try to post some quick paint sketch soon.

Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:11 pm

I think the 1" 90 degree turns wont restrict airflow alot, but i would suggest to use 1,5" turns so that the bushing is also at the bottom side

psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:17 pm

you should try and use a 180 degree sprinkler valve, i think that would be a better choice, then you wouldnt have to worry about the bottle neck as much, seeing as you would just have the reducers straight into the valve.

"When you tell some body something, it depends on which part of these United States your standing in, as to how dumb you sound."
-Burt Reynolds as: Bo "Bandit" Darville
rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:19 pm

The 1" sprinkler will restrict flow far more than the 1" pipe, so there's no need to spend the money for a bigger 180 degree bend.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:35 pm

here is a little diagram.
what is the general consensus on whether I should use 1" or 1.5" for the bends?

gaaaah! image link didnt work, just a sec

lol finally up there...

Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:45 pm

And what is wrong with that? If your really concerned with a bottleneck more the valve on top of the gun, but I don't think you will notice a difference.

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:52 pm

I put it on the bottom to conserve space. Since the 2" pipe has ~2x the volume per inch of 1.5" (please noobs dont correct me on the math lrn2 Πr2,) so it seemed more efficient to put it on the bottom where I already have lots of extra space. Anyways it seems to me that you guys don't think it will make much difference, so I'll leave it as is for useablity's sake.

Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:55 pm

Thats the way I always make mine, I use the solenoid as a handle. But I don't mod my valves so I guess it depends on your application.

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:06 pm

Thanks for all of your advice guys!
and make this post long enough...

Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: EGOed » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:41 am

If you move the valve up top you can get it closer to the barrel and lessen the dead space (un-pressurized pipe) after the outlet of the valve.....If you are concerned with flow restriction with 1" pipe , you are already restricted to 1" porting by your sprinkler valve so upsizing your pipeing diameter will not increase your flow rate......Try to keep your valve exhaust outlet as close to the barrel, and projectile as possible for best performance.

EGOed
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: williamfeldmann » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:45 am

Yes, you would have more dead space with the current design, but not all dead space is a bad thing when dealing with a barrel that is significantly bigger than the valve. No dead space is actually detrimental to the performance, too much dead space is also going to decrease the performance of the gun (given a fixed chamber & barrel).

In this case the air will have enough time to collect and hit the spud (assuming that is what you are firing) with more pressure behind it.

I would leave your design alone. It is a tested and true setup. Just make sure you keep the gun compact heightwise to reduce the strain on those 90* elbows.

Trying to figure out how to make a SCUBA first stage regulator work for portable charging station. If only that pesky job thing didn't keep eating up all my time...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
williamfeldmann
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:54 am

I was thinking a 3' long barrel, I will be shooting little cat tennisballs that fit perfectly into a 1.5" tube, and one of the whole reasons for not using 1.5" bends is to make it more compact, and I will make supports for farther down the barrel.

Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion