Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 65 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Paintball Marker

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Paintball Marker

Unread postAuthor: Mosk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:31 pm

I am new to this forum site. Wondering if anyone has any ideas for a basic paintball style gun i could make for a first. I have made potato guns but i want to move onto something i am more interested in. I am a huge fan of paintball. I am wondering if anyone has just a basic plan for a gun?

Mosk
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:37 pm

First off don't ask for plans, people get bent out of place over that. But other than that, what kind of gun do you have in mind?

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: battlemonkey » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:39 pm

well it is pretty hard to make something semiauto. would stary small and work up

battlemonkey
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:59 pm

Well since you would be new to making paintball style pneumatics, i would agree with battlemonkey and you should go with a single shot paintball pneumatic. You then will eventually become more knowledgable and then you can try with a semi auto. And use this next time. There is plenty on this site that will help you. Remember, this is the LARGEST spudgun forum in the world, even though there arent that many, but more that one exists.

4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: williamfeldmann » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:03 pm

Yeah, a single shot will be a much easier first build than something with semi or repeating ability.

Magazine or bolt or other breech-loading options are not that hard to build and would make an excellent addition. They would also give you practice building a part you will need later on for a semi auto.

Hit up the pneumatic showcase or search for sniper because that is basically what you are builidng.

Trying to figure out how to make a SCUBA first stage regulator work for portable charging station. If only that pesky job thing didn't keep eating up all my time...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
williamfeldmann
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:01 pm

Like everyone said, single-shot is easy, but it is infeasable for a paintball match. You would have about 5 bpm, while real guns have about 15 bps.
Real paintball guns run on CO2, while pnuematics mostly use non-portable compressors. They are regulated, which can be expensive. Pnuematic paintball guns, like the "slider" can rip through metal, which is deffinatly not field-legal. If the fps was regulated to the safe velocity of 280 fps, performance would suffer. Also, most potato guns do not look as well or are as durable as a marker.

Now, the good news!

Here is a diagram of one of the only existing semi-auto paintball pnuematic spudguns:Clicky here

I have expanded on these ideas, along with Clide's GB semi to create my own plans for a paintball gun. As far as I know, these plans are the first, as a field-legal gun has never been made before. This will alos be MY first pnuematic, and I do not even have a lathe. If I can do it (high school sophmore), then you almost definatly could.

Click the link in my sig for the plans! Hope the diagram helps!

UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:22 pm

I have expanded on these ideas, along with Clide's GB semi to create my own plans for a paintball gun. As far as I know, these plans are the first, as a field-legal gun has never been made before. This will alos be MY first pnuematic, and I do not even have a lathe. If I can do it (high school sophmore), then you almost definatly could.

how do you know it will be field legal?

and Mosk it really depends what you are looking for, if you want immense power then you should make a paintball sniper using a QEV (quick exhaust valve) this is a good example http://www.uksgc.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=1396 obviously you would probably use pvc but i chose this as an example because you can see the pilot clearly. it should be easy to get 600fps with a sniper.

however if you want semi-auto you could look at upscaling JSR's 6mm semi http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/6mm-semi-added-trigger-and-mag-t10075.html and if you are into paintball i assume you have co2 or HPA tanks which you could hook up to a regulator and use. its something i have thought about doing but at the moment i'm building my winter sniper rifle and as i don't have and co2 tanks yet (i'm hoping to get some kit for christmas) so it could be quite expensive.

or you could try and make a homemade version of a paintball guns mech you can see it here http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/paintball2.htm and its easier to see if you click on the 3D model further down the page.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:01 pm

Maybe his concept was missed. Maybe I missed it. Is he (you) asking for a paintball gun to shoot paintballs are a more alternative type launcher (to shoot anti-tank rounds).

If you are asking for a paintball gun to shoot paintballs, good luck with that. As I've suggested before, it is a lot easier to purchase one than to buy one, although a person gets so much self gratification when making one, so your choice. Everyone else advised to make a single shot first, as will I.

As far as the alternative paintball goes, search the pneumatic showcase files. Choose from several hundred and go with it.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:06 pm

A field legal paintball gun must have an easily adjustable velocity (280-300 consitant FPS).

Many paintball fields do not allow "shotgun" rounds anymore, as they are too cheap, and are more dangerous and painful. There is more total energy transfer, as each ball has about 11 joules of energy behind it. Ouch.

Also, most fields do not allow auto-responce/auto guns. The gun must be capabe of a dedicated semi auto. I did not really include this in the pic (the small ball valve is the begining), but the valve would also be actuated by the bolt. This rules out the GB semi, as it goes auto.

... I need enough power to be competitive on the field, (280 fps) and possibly increase the psi for "sniper" shots (320 FPS), as that is the main reason for the gun's design. THAT probably is not field legal, but it gives this gun supperiour range, so I would need to have a "minimum engagement rule"

UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:21 pm

its not exactly practical to make your own marker unless your a pro at this

in almost all cases buying one is cheaper, and more practical

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: iPaintball » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:29 pm

ShowNoMercy wrote:First off don't ask for plans, people get bent out of place over that.
That makes me mad. This is not aimed at anyone specific, but people should not be penalized for asking for plans. When you search "spud cannon" on Google, this is what comes up:

The Spud Cannon Database
Includes many plans, how-tos, and pictures of various setups and launchers. There is a wide variety of subjects and contributions.
www.spudfiles.com/ - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

If people ask for plans, they have a reason to.

Mosk, if you need an idea for a semiauto marker, try clide's Slider Gun. It is a very well built semi automatic cannon, but if you are a beginner, I would not advise you build a semi auto cannon.

Summer Projects:
CO2 tank hybrid: Gotta fix the meter :(
Cane gun: Needs a pilot/fill setup
1.5" piston valve gun: Almost done
iPaintball
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion