Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 74 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Hello all

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Hello all

Unread postAuthor: Necronium » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:58 am

Hey everyone. Im new here and am thinking of building a pneumatic for the first time. Ive been searching the site gathering info and planning my design. I will post pics of it, and damage when i get it completed.

I was just wanting to introduce myself and say hi.

So Hi my name is Tony and i like shooting potatoes.

Necronium
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:06 pm

hi and welcome to the forum, what kind of valve are you planning on using on your pneumatic and what barrel and chamber size?

also its very worthwhile taking your time on your first cannon, i spent over a month planning and designing then planning and designing it again and my cannon has benifitted, although its still not finished :( if i made my cannon the week i decided to make one it would have been more expensive and not as good as it is now.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:16 pm

i like shooting potatoes

You'll like it even more after you've built your first cannon ;) good luck

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:41 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
i like shooting potatoes

You'll like it even more after you've built your first cannon ;) good luck

A friend of mine got so excided when he shot mine he got weak in the knee's and had to sit down! We got a good laugh. Welcome to Spudfiles.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Necronium » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:28 pm

ALIHISGREAT wrote:hi and welcome to the forum, what kind of valve are you planning on using on your pneumatic and what barrel and chamber size?

also its very worthwhile taking your time on your first cannon, i spent over a month planning and designing then planning and designing it again and my cannon has benifitted, although its still not finished :( if i made my cannon the week i decided to make one it would have been more expensive and not as good as it is now.

well i was going to use a sprinkler valve. And i have made combustions before, but never a pneumatic one. Though it was always really basic.

I am still a little hazy on the little details but i'm going to try to work it all out before i attempt it.

Through my job i have access to sch80 pvc so thats what i am going to use. I was wanting to make one to shoot golf balls.

Here are my thoughts on it so far:

My chamber is probably going to be a 3ft, 3'' sch80. Will that work?

Also if i shoot a golf ball at something like plywood, or a 50 gallon drum will i have to worry about it richocheting(spelling) back at me.

I have an idea in my head that it will look like an actual rifle but im not sure how hard it will be to do the necessary wood work.

Necronium
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:25 pm

Welcome. And I must congratulate you on finding the search feature. Good luck and remember...these guys can answer ANY questions you may have.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm

well it really depends how much power it will have, i suggest look for similar GB cannons and seeing how much damage they do.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Necronium » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:53 pm

hubb017 wrote:Welcome. And I must congratulate you on finding the search feature. Good luck and remember...these guys can answer ANY questions you may have.

ya i kinda noticed that in most forums that have a search feature, its usually easier to find an answer to your question with it. Because 99.9% of the time it has already been answered.

Anyways im having trouble locating a sprinkler valve at the moment. And i think i have found something that will make a bolt action a lot easier to install. i will have to recheck the item in question but i will definately be using it if i can work out the best way to fit it in.

Im also thinking interchangeable barrels, so i can shoot more than golf balls.

I really need a compressor too, combined with gaining extra funds it may be a while before i can post any results for everyone. Also having a wife that doesnt share my enthusiasm for spud guns dont help either.

Necronium
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:59 pm

Necronium wrote:...Also having a wife that doesnt share my enthusiasm for spud guns dont help either.

My wife was the same way when I started building. After a couple of shots, I let her shoot it and now she enjoys it. Sometimes I think she actually enjoys it more.

Interchangeable barrels are awesome and quite simple to implement.

If you have any questions on getting the "item in question" in order, I'm sure someone here can help.

Another option next to a compressor would be CO2.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Necronium » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:13 pm

ok the one i looked at was for 1.5". It is maybe 9"-10" long and has a bus for a 1.5" pipe on one side and the other side is a 1.5". And it slides in and out. You can unscrew one side and the 1.5" that moves has an o ring on it.

I cannot remember the name of it so forgive my ignorence.

So anyways, you could use it as a breech couldnt you? Assuming you modified it of course.

Necronium
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 pm

Did it by some chance resemble this?

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Necronium » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:25 pm

hubb017 wrote:Did it by some chance resemble this?

yup thats it exactly, lol i was looking for a pic of it to post. So has it been tried?

Necronium
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:28 pm

Yeah, it has been tried. And it has been successful. Go for it. It will make for a nice breech loader. It may not even have to be modified.

Oh yeah, it's called a repair coupling. :wink:

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Necronium » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:37 pm

hubb017 wrote:Yeah, it has been tried. And it has been successful. Go for it. It will make for a nice breech loader. It may not even have to be modified.

Oh yeah, it's called a repair coupling. :wink:

lol ya thank you for the help. Anyways i will probably use 1.

Necronium
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion