Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 72 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Inline Gun, TF2 replica

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Inline Gun, TF2 replica

Unread postAuthor: Panzerfaust » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:48 pm

Okay, now that Team Fortress 2 is out, i have this idea of replicating its rocket launcher stuck in my head, When projects get stuck in my head they don't go away until i either finish them or realise they are beyond my means.
I want to replicate this:
3" pipe scales well for the outer body, and the launcher is conveniently shaped like plumbing parts. The problem is cramming a launcher in it. 2" pipe fitting just BARELY fit inside 3" pipe, so if i can make a perfectly inline 2" gun i can fit it inside. My current idea is a coaxial piston arrangement that doesn't actually use the coaxial part as the barrel:
I know this will create some dead space but it is the best design i have so far. Picture is entirely out of scale.

Any comments or suggestions on how to make this? Do you think the dead space inherent in this design will cripple performance?

Panzerfaust
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:03 pm

haha team fortress 2!!! I'm askin for that for christmas...In the orange box- comes with 4 other games

anyway back to gun..
if i'm looking at it right, that ball is in the barrel which is in the 3 inch pipe... and then you have a smaller pipe to "connect" with the piston correct?

A problem i see: if 2 inch pipe barely fits in 3 inch, how are you going to reduce it to the smaller pipe- i'm guessing the fitting won't fit inside the 3" so how do you plan on doing that?

It won't be the most powerful one on earth probably, but it will definitely look cool

good luck

"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
JDP12
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:33 pm

Make toolies piston to minimize the dead space. Just do a search for Jack's pneumatic cartridge concept. That's exactly what you have shown basically.

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Just do a search for Jack's pneumatic cartridge concept. That's exactly what you have shown basically.

Yep, it's basically the same thing :D

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Zen/// » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:46 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Just do a search for Jack's pneumatic cartridge concept. That's exactly what you have shown basically.

Yep, it's basically the same thing :D

There was a president (im not sure what country) that was assasinated by a ricin (a poisin) filled pellet fired by a puematically powered gun discuised as a umbrella. The pellet barely punctured his skin, but the poison eventually killed him.

To mods: im not suggesting to try it in any way, just a interesting fact.

Zen///
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:52 pm

Zen/// wrote:There was a president (im not sure what country) that was assasinated by a ricin (a poisin) filled pellet fired by a puematically powered gun discuised as a umbrella. The pellet barely punctured his skin, but the poison eventually killed him.

The man in question was actually Bulgarian dissident Georgi Markov who was assasinated in London. This incident was mentioned I believe in the pneumatic pengun thread as the launcher must have had a similar performance. Again any relation of such weapons to spudgunning is purely academic.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Zen/// » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:54 pm

maybe you could use the design?

Zen///
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:57 pm

That diagram is a very vague interpretation of how the umbrella gun worked, the valve could have been anything.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Panzerfaust » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:04 pm

yes... YES.
Toolies piston is definetely a better idea, i remebered the design even before looking it up and its definetely better. id use this simplified version:
This would definetely work better. and 2" fittings DO fit in 3" pipe, but just barely.

Panzerfaust
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Eddbot » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:11 pm

i have that same problem, except most of the time i realize it's outside of my capabilities and/or resources, i will now draw the process in which this happens with smilies:
:idea: :? :x :cry: ...lol...smilies

Eddbot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion