Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 55 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

auto-recock no tool hammer valve?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:32 am

Hailfire753 wrote:I'll take your word for it.

No, do the math:

So, let's say that the piston in the above example is 2 inches in diameter, sealing a barrel that was one inch in diameter. Lets assume that the thickness of the barrel is negligible, to simplify calculation, as it does not affect the result. The chamber is at 100 psi.

So, the total area behind the piston is 3.142 inches<sup>2</sup>, while the area available to the air on the other side (excluding the area of the barrel of 0.786 cubic inches) is 2.356 inches<sup>2</sup>. This means that the total force on the piston is (3.142 - 2.356) x 100 which totals 78.6 lbs, in the direction of the barrel.

Let's increase the piston diameter to 3 inches. The total area behind the piston is now 7.070 inches<sup>2</sup>, but the area on the other side is now 6.284 inches<sup>2</sup>, so the force now pushing the piston is equal to (7.070 - 6.284) x 100 which equals 78.6 lbs - identical to the example above.

Reducing the diameter of the piston to 1.5 inches, you get (1.767 - 0.981) x 100 which still equals 78.6 lbs.

sorry to bring the calculations in but I'm a firm believer in not just "taking someone's word for it" ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:40 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:sorry to bring the calculations in but I'm a firm believer in not just "taking someone's word for it" ;)

:lol: No problem! I understand what you are saying now.

UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion