Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], farcticox1, Gussmoore, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

auto-recock no tool hammer valve?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
auto-recock no tool hammer valve?

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:06 pm

I had an idea that came froma story about accidentaly actuation a piston with a ramrod. why not just have a washer/bolt pistonplugging the end of a high volume high pressure chamber and whack it open? You would put the outlet to the barrel behind the piston so the air pressure would recock it. heres a pic

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:10 pm

Seems logical. But you dont know for sure until you try it :)

4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:13 pm

thats what i plan to do. as soon as i scrape some cash together.I also plan on equiping it with a jsr style blow-forward breach for a nice ROF.

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:15 pm

And im pretty sure this could probably easily be used as a semi auto?

4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:16 pm

@LMC 3/8 slingshot ammo. Gets me all exited just thinking about it
woops, thought you asked for my ammo choice. :lol: I was planning on semi auto

-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:14 pm

Sweet idea! There has been a whole lot of semi-auto ideas recently, but no one has tested them yet. Do you think your design would cycle fast enough for paintball use (6-10 bps)?

Please Test! ...or I will test it if I have the time and money.

Last edited by Hailfire753 on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:23 pm

Hailfire753 wrote:Sweet idea! There has been a whole lot of semi-auto ideas recently, but no one has tested them yet. Do you think your design would cycle fast enough for paintball use (6-10 bps)?

Please Test! ...or I will test it it Ihave the time and money.

yes, I think it would cycle for semi or even full auto. I do plan on testing this. The only problem I forsee is the spring not e being strong enough to open the valve at higher pressures. This is why I'm limiting the sealing washer to 1/2 in diameter.

-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:41 pm

The striker will shut the air off to the barrel the way you have it and the air will also blast out the hole for the sear. You need a longer pin on the valve and the sear needs to be further up the slide tube(ahead of the barrel outlet).

This isn't a new idea though. It's a standard valve type. You need very high pressure to make this worthwhile.

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:13 pm

Hawkeye wrote:The striker will shut the air off to the barrel the way you have it and the air will also blast out the hole for the sear. You need a longer pin on the valve and the sear needs to be further up the slide tube(ahead of the barrel outlet).

This isn't a new idea though. It's a standard valve type. You need very high pressure to make this worthwhile.

Thanks for the tips. wouldnt not need so much pressure because I used 1/2 diameter outlet? I think thats much bigger than most pbguns.

I understand that this isnt a new valve. I just wanted a multi-shot valve that required no lathe. Btw,I plan on making it so the striker blocks off the sear hole. Thanks for the input

-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:43 pm

Check out the piston/hammer valve combo topic.
That is another similar idea where the piston functions as the hammer and theoretically resets immediately. Jack did a pretty good drawing for the principle.
For your idea you could notch the striker in the middle rather than having it caught on the end.
A potential striker that requires little machining (polishing)is a drill bit extension. I have bought a short one that slides in half inch copper piping. It could be set up so that it could be cocked manually initially.

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:48 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Check out the piston/hammer valve combo topic.
That is another similar idea where the piston functions as the hammer and theoretically resets immediately. Jack did a pretty good drawing for the principle.
For your idea you could notch the striker in the middle rather than having it caught on the end.
A potential striker that requires little machining (polishing)is a drill bit extension. I have bought a short one that slides in half inch copper piping. It could be set up so that it could be cocked manually initially.

Are you saying that i should extend the sear further inward into the pipe,or that i should make a channel in the piston for it?
I was planning on making a striker out of a brass craft tube that fit nicely in the pipe. I would fill it with jbweld or similar.

-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:21 pm

YES!!! this works just like an Air Hogs engine............ exept bigger. i might make one of these too because it doesnt need perfect seals.......

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:23 pm

I would recommend that you wait for me to skrew up on it.then you can get first hand advise
well, we'll find out whenever i get some funds

Last edited by mopherman on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:25 pm

actually, the only way i dont think this would work is if the piston sealed to tightly.......... the presure would build up and the spring wouldnt make the hammer move fast enough............

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:25 pm

not a bad idea, i'd be interested to see how it works out, good luck.

"Some say his pet elephant is pink, and that he has no understanding of "PG rated forum". All we know is, he's called JSR. "
JDP12
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion