Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 66 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

THe working

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: carl2.0 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:22 pm

ok guys cool,... guess its back to the drawing board...
PS Im not living in america soo that 30 saving is actually $60 here soo yeh thats why i went wid the blowgun valve at first.... but if it means super crappy performance ill adjust. Cus I did do a firing test earlier n i was a bit disappointed

Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: chaos » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:32 pm

don't forget to check ebay for sprinkler valves, they can be cheaper there if you can find them.

good luck with it all :D

Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:33 pm

You could always just opt out for a ball valve. I'm sure they would be cheaper than your sprinkler, if you don't' find one on ebay. Of course, you may want to add a spring to give better opening times to it.

Another option would be a burst disc valve. The wiki has a pretty neat section on triggering a burst disc, in which you could use your blowgun valve.

In short, don't think you are limited to purchasing a sprinkler valve. It is a choice (and a fine one for your needs) but it is not the only choice.

Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:43 pm

Unless you don't mind a rate of fire less than 4 rph (rounds per hour), and building one of the most difficult valves to seal, don't use a triggered burst disk. They sound great, and have loads of flow and opening time, but they aren't practical at all.

Just build a piston valve. With lots of epoxy, they can be built to a decent size very cheaply, less than a sprinkler valve.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion