Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 42 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: al-xg, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

The stupid price of copper pipe

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Zen/// » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:33 pm

12"=1'

Am I right or am I right?

Zen///
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: sandman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:45 pm

octane89 wrote:no Im from michigan.
haha.. we stomped all over you as everyone knew we would. 14-3 rofl

anyways on topic, it looks like i would hate to live in Australia :wink:

sandman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: octane89 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:49 pm

Yes sadly. We have a new RB (sam Mcguffie) who will be playing most likely since he was recruited by the top 10.

But yes, australia seems to have some more expensive pieces.

octane89
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: The Kid » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:16 am

i brought 1 foot of 1cm coper pipe for nearly $10. It pissed me off cause i thought it would be like $10 for like 2 or 3 feet from what i heard, it makes me sick.

:sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4: :sad4:

The Kid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:22 am

its 110 bucks for 10 feet of 2" copper over where i live. 1" copper I think is 3 bucks a foot or so...
Besides looking good though, I still don't see much of an advantage for using copper besides that you can solder it. Personally I'd just sacrifice any weight constraints and go with steel, especially when its only 25 bucks for 10 feet of 2" sch 40 steel pipe where in live instead of 110 dollars for 2" copper. And I'm better at working with steel then copper anyways...

Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:29 am

Go to your local scrapyard / metal recycler and ask nicely if they will part with said copper products for more cash that they are worth, in Australia copper prices are around $7 a kilo, my 1.5mtr long Hybrid barrel is 23mm id and i paid $10 for it from a demolition yard (they say they don't have any copper but have a look, it is that they need a scrap metal license to sell any metal but they do sell it :wink: )
By the looks of it i saved $40, my missus would be so proud :D

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:29 am

Youch, that's costly.
I use copper because it's relatively cheap in the UK, the equivalent of $2.55* USD a foot for 22mm pipe (read: about the same as 3/4"), or $3.45* USD a foot for 28mm (read: about 1"). Some places are less, some more - I'm quoting the price off the BES website where I buy a large amount of my material - including VAT and done with the latest exchange rates. However, my local hardware corner shop is often (and very surprisingly) a fair sight cheaper, but I can't remember their exact prices.

It usually comes in lengths that are a multiple of one metre, up to three metres usually. You'd be given the frowning of a lifetime if you started asking about buying a 1 foot length of 3/4" at most stores I can think of.

I usually have a small stack of copper in the corner of my room at home (not at uni though) to take advantage of buying in longer lengths being slightly cheaper - there's a good chance my next launcher will be copper (there is always a next launcher), and off cuts can always get used up somewhere.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion