Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Compressed Air/Nitrogen tanks instead of co2?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Compressed Air/Nitrogen tanks instead of co2?

Unread postAuthor: gwoloshyn » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:36 pm

When I was younger, as I advanced into paintball I found all the nicer guns and better players ran compressed air tanks. Why not use one of these on a launcher? You would need a reg just like a co2 tank, but it would be useful during winter right? I may be wrong since nobody has mentioned using these types of tanks to attach to their guns.

Such as this : http://www.paintballmountain.com/pbstor ... 402C60.cfm

Price could be a factor I guess..

gwoloshyn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:44 pm

Why not just use an industrial nitrogen or air tank? My nitrogen tank is ~900 ci, runs at 2400 psi, and costs me only $56/year, and I don't have to worry about difficult to obtain paintball regs or hoses, I just have a normal CGA 580 reg adapted to 1/4" NPT fittings.

CO2 is one of the worst propellant gases for a pneumatic launcher, I have little idea as to why people use it for anything other than paintball. It lowers pressure in winter, is horribly dense, freezes lots of things it runs through, and liquefies at a mere 800 psi.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: gwoloshyn » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:37 pm

Yeah, I avoid co2 at all costs.

$56/year? Where do you keep it and what was the initial cost? I am directing the use of smaller tanks for on-board setups to take anywhere anytime.

gwoloshyn
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:23 pm

You could also use Scuba tanks. My "Pro" paintballer friends use these to refill thier tanks while they are at practice and run out of compresseed air in thier hpa tanks. A scuba tank is also not to bad and can cost you 300-500 dollars.

4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: EGOed » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:36 am

These are the ultimate setups for cannons.....I have modified scba tanks as air chambers for my paintball field artillary (fibre wrapped aluminum )and the cannons have continuous air supplies from 444 cu ft 3000 psi bulk storage tanks.....I went with this set-up because of the lower temps in my area this time of year....Many players use 68 ci 4500 psi paintball tanks to charge their pvc launcher chambers during games in the warmer months and they work very well.... Some players get 12 or more shots from their paintball tanks depending on launcher chamber size and pressure.

EGOed
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:59 pm

There was no startup cost for my setup, and I don't pay the $56 until I have already had it for one year.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:17 pm

Yeah, N2 and HPA is great, but expensive. Most people don't use it 'cause of price, and also refilling stations are less common. While many paintball fields offer free C02 refills, they usually dont have HPA.

UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: EGOed » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:05 pm

Yes , HPA systems are very expensive to say the least....Actually you almost have to have HPA at a legitimate paintball field nowadays because guys are showing up with some pretty expensive electronic markers...There is no way they would use CO2 in them , but I still offer CO2 for the players with Tippmans and less expensive markers.......You are right though , not many people can afford to have a HPA compressor and cascade system Like I have for their cannon hobby, but I am surprised that most paintball fields dont utilize these systems to add working air cannons to their scenario fields ....Since I have started doing games with artillary and mortars , players are telling me they are some of the best scenario games they have ever played for realism.....Whenever someone asks me a question about my cannons , I always direct them to this site for info on building them.

EGOed
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion