Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 61 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Baldyforks, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Triggered burst disc question.

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Triggered burst disc question.

Unread postAuthor: thespeedycicada » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:15 am

Im really sorry if there is an easy answer to this but i searched and didnt find anything about this although im sure i read about it once i just want to be sure before i spend any money.
I was wondering if there would be a noticable performance increase if you put a burst disc in front of say a ball valve or even a sprinkler.I was guessing there would but would the burst disc just break before all of the pressure got behind it? thats what i want to know.

current projects: co-axial piston valve.Status DONE!
S.P.E.C.S update mk 1 construction begining in febuary all the maths for it are done plans are drawn up and parts are listed.
NEXT project:auto piston valve.
thespeedycicada
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: hi » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:26 am

in front of a sprinkler valve, probably not. in front of a ball ball, yes.

in fact if it bursts slightly below the chamber pressure it would give you a noticeable power increase. I've never tried it, but I'm sure it would work.

if you going through all the trouble, why not just eliminate the ball valve and just use a union and a burst disk....

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Eddbot » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:17 am

i just had an idea :idea: what if you did what cicada was sayin and put the burst disk in front of the ball valve but as you're pressurizing the space behind the burst disk pressurize the space in front of but behind the ball valve, then you could take the burst disk to higher pressures before it broke, then to actuate it you just open the ball, the pressure behind the ball holding back the pressure behind the disk leaves, so the disk has to burst but it's at a much higher pressure, and your projectile goes alot faster. yes? no? maybe?

Attachments
3.JPG
third stage
2.JPG
second stage
2.JPG (32.34 KiB) Viewed 337 times
1.JPG
first stage
1.JPG (32.04 KiB) Viewed 337 times
Eddbot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:33 am

why not just put a burst disk in between the ball valve and your ammo that way you can get the ball valve open a lot further before the disk bursts and the cannon shoots. might give you maybe another 10th of a second to get that ball valve open all the way before the burst disk goes. just a thought

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:45 am

Eddbot wrote:i just had an idea :idea: what if you did what cicada was sayin and put the burst disk in front of the ball valve but as you're pressurizing the space behind the burst disk pressurize the space in front of but behind the ball valve, then you could take the burst disk to higher pressures before it broke, then to actuate it you just open the ball, the pressure behind the ball holding back the pressure behind the disk leaves, so the disk has to burst but it's at a much higher pressure, and your projectile goes alot faster. yes? no? maybe?

Eddbot, have you seen this?

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Eddbot » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:57 am

if we're tryin to get high speed actuation then we need a sprinkler or a better way to open ball valves faster, other than spring loading

edit: oops my bad, i got confused, then had a really old idea

Eddbot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Zen/// » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:49 am

"I was wondering if there would be a noticable performance increase if you put a burst disc in front of say a ball valve"

Of course, just look at my sig... :lol:

I have a piece of tape as my burst disk (75psi burst pressure).
And a ballvalve with a chamber behind it (85-110psi). No matter what pressure bettween 85-110psi I use, there is a 1 second delay between ball valve actuation and the burst disk ruptureing.

Resulting in a preformance almost to that of HEAL (according to GGDT)

Zen///
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:46 am

I was wondering if there would be a noticable performance increase if you put a burst disc in front of say a ball valve or even a sprinkler.

Maybe, maybe not.

The problem with a ball valve is that it opens slowly. As it is opening the air flow is severely choked. If the projectile starts to move while the flow is choked then you are consuming barrel without the full chamber pressure behind the ammo. In other words, there is too much pressure drop across the partly open valve.

If you add a burst disk, and the dead volume (volume between the burst disk and valve) is small, then the rupture pressure of the disk may be reached before the ball valve is fully opened. In worst case, the burst disk won't do anything at all since it may rupture when the valve is only slightly open.

It isn't so much a question of the rupture pressure of the disk as it is how quickly that pressure is reached with the valve only partly open.

EDIT:
Zen said:I have a piece of tape as my burst disk (75psi burst pressure). And a ballvalve with a chamber behind it (85-110psi). No matter what pressure bettween 85-110psi I use, there is a 1 second delay between ball valve actuation and the burst disk ruptureing.

Sounds like Zen's burst disk has a significant delay even after the pressure is above the rupture pressure. Sounds like the tape has to stretch for a bit before it fails.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion