Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 54 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

piston surface area?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
piston surface area?

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:42 pm

I know i probably should know this, but does anybody know how much available surface area a piston has to have for it to actuate? I only have 1/8 of an inch of extra space in a launcher I'm planning and that worries me :?
thanks

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:14 pm

The bigger the available area (total piston area - barrel inner diameter) the better, however if your piston is a tight fit, you keep your pilot volume to a minimum and use a good pilot valve, there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:49 pm

should work fine,alot of BTB cannons use a piston that has nearly no surface area left over and boogieman made one that worked and it had no surface area that was extra,until the piston met its end.

Mr Wilson my GB cannon only has maybe 4mm either side if the piston and it works great.Nothing to worry about.

rna_duelers
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: RDX, » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:57 am

its only a good thing if there is not much surface area :D ,my new GB cannon has piston that is 55mm diameter and my seat is 52mm and works great :wink:

RDX,
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:54 pm

I have a problematic (unfired) piston valve which has very little surface area. I haven't yet worked out if the problems are due to the polymorph piston IU am using, or the extremely low surface area. Has anyone else used polymorph for a piston?

Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion