Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 81 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 77 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

firebird sprinkler valve question

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
firebird sprinkler valve question

Unread postAuthor: Greazy_Monkey » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:18 pm

hey i have a pnuematic potatoe cannon with one of these and cant find anywhere that will tell me how much pressure i can use. ive been using 120psi but id like to use more if its safe. can i?

Greazy_Monkey
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:28 pm

It should be specified on the box that the valve came in. If you can't find the box, go back to the store where you got it and find one identical, then read that box.

Generally, sprinkler valves are good for about 120psi, but some have taken them higher.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:16 pm

I think for a standard sprinkler solenoid valve you are probably "officially" limited to no more than 120 PSIG, and even that is probably pushing it a bit. Most home water supplies run at about 60 PSIG with occassional short duration water hammer pressure spikes of perhaps twice that.

Folks have pushed these valves to higher pressures but it is risky. A 3" diameter valve body pressurized to 200 PSIG has 1,400 pounds of force on it. Since the body of the valve is plastic, held together by several self-tapping screws screwed into plastic, you have to start to worry about catastrophic failures with this much force on the valve body. Especially if you drop, or otherwise abuse, the valve while it is pressurized.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion