Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 66 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Solinoid voltage capacities

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Solinoid voltage capacities

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:56 am

hi all,

i have an unmodded 25mm solinoid valve, i also have 3 9.6v 650mAh rc batteries. hooking them together gives 28.8v of current. My question is this, can my 24v solinoid handle the extra 4.8 volts i want to pump into it??

as u hav probobly guessed i wish to make electric firing setup for my spud gun, i know it isnt the best way, i have a modded 1 aswell to switch between the two, good old threaded couplers.

thnx in advance

Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:09 pm

Wow, VOLTS OF CURRENT!!!! As a heads up, current is in amps, not volts. Potential difference (usually known incorrectly as voltage - it's like measuring height in footage or metrage) is what you're talking about.

The solenoid will handle your 28.8V easily, especially over the half second or so that you're energizing it for. I guess you could get away with even more, but don't push it.

Current also comes into play to an extent. RC batteries can push a lot more current than most batteries, but as the coil is probably the main source of resistance in the loop, that won't really come into play.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:45 pm

Ragnorok is right, the small change in voltage won't hurt the solenoid.

The solenoid will probably work fine with just two of the batteries in series giving 19.2V.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: singularity » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:25 pm

wouldn't it be a lot cheap, smaller, and more portable just to use like 3 standard 9v alkaline batteries hooked together in series?

be sure to check out my <a href="http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/ak-style-airsoft-vortex-gun-t10959.html">AK Styled Vortex Gun</a> and my <a href="http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/at-4-t9627.html">AT-4 Rocket</a>

upcoming projects... finalized clip fed BBMG and ball point pen sniper
singularity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:50 pm

thnx for the replies.

Ragnorok: Thnx for the heads up, i know a little about electronics in the way of how to do the hands on stuff but dont really know the vocabulary associated with it.

Jimmy101: A solenoid is slow anyway, so i don't want to go less volts than it can handle id rather risk the extra 4.8v.

Singularity: Standard run of the mill 9v arnt as powerful, roughly same weight and more expensive in the long run. I already have these batteries from my old baja racer RC.

Thnx for the responses keep em comin! :D

Carlman
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion