Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 47 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Remote Firing Mechanisms ???

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: CarriageGuy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:29 am

Thank you all for your help, opinions and time, it has been appreciated.
however, due to the rather cold reception given me by mrcrowley, i think i will look for another pnuematics discussion board.

you all *try* and have fun. :roll:

High-Tech Redneck
CarriageGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:31 am

due to the rather cold reception given me by mrcrowley, i think i will look for another pnuematics discussion board.

If you're referring to the comment he made in this thread, there was nothing rude or offensive about what he said, I dare say you're being a tad... well, touchy. This is teh interwabs y'know ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: CarriageGuy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:43 am

it has to do with some private messages and deleted posts/threads.

High-Tech Redneck
CarriageGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:53 am

It's hard to be an effective moderator and still come across as a nice guy (which I can assure you MrCrowley is), if you think it's not worth heaving past the "n00b" phase then it's a pity, this forum has a lot to offer.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: CarriageGuy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:07 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:It's hard to be an effective moderator and still come across as a nice guy (which I can assure you MrCrowley is), if you think it's not worth heaving past the "n00b" phase then it's a pity, this forum has a lot to offer.

No it's not, you have to choose to be or not be.
Tis forum does have a lot to offer, but according to mrcrowleys own set of rules a.k.a. "posting ediquett" about every other "rule" consists of ; "dont ask, just go look for it yourself, dont bother me, dont bother us, if it aint on the shelf we dont have it, and dont ask anything anyone else has ever asked before, dont know if they have asked already, too bad, go find out yourself, just dont bother us...dont do anything that annoys mrcrowley... dont post anything mrcrowley wouldnt post, etc etc..."

I understand the moderator standpoint, i own my own BBS here locally, and i am one of three moderators there.
We too have our own set of rules, not nearly as stringent as the ones here obviously, and i suppose now i will consider our board "lucky" as we dont have to deal with such horrible trandgressions as 'we dont do smiles here" or posting two different thoughts in two seperate posts instead of consolidatng them into one.
:roll:

We usually have play days, and encourage folks to post no matter how many times, guess i have become lax in my responsibilities as a moderator.... best go get out my whip.

See ya'all on a lighter side some day perhaps, happy gunning.

High-Tech Redneck
CarriageGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:55 am

People that stick with the rules - even those would occasionally start to cross the lines but can recognise that they've messed up and respect the moderator's response - get along fine with the moderators.

It's like many school teachers. Mostly they want to get along with you, but they have to hand out punishment if you cross the line.

One of the chemistry teachers at my old school was a great guy to get along with - said a lot of silly things, ran the technical crew, very friendly.
I got along with him consistently, but if someone crossed the line a bit, he'd be pretty swift to sort it. If they crossed the line a lot, you'd want to be somewhere else - his wrath was on the scale of a small nuclear warhead.

My favourite example: There were a load of kids messing around near the school stage, and disrupting some crew work. After asking them to leave several times, as they shouldn't have been there anyway, and getting no response, a short phone call was made, then we ran off - the equivalent of pulling the pin on a grenade and throwing it as far as possible from yourself.
30 seconds later... the teacher in question arrives in "pissed off" mode, and the mood of the kids changes very fast from amusement to sheer terror.

The crew are all behind the stage curtains, trying hard not to piss ourselves laughing - it was just the way you could hear the kids messing around laughing, then a door smashing open, followed by the sound of two of the troublemakers running, accompanied by a yell of "GET BACK HERE, I KNOW EXACTLY WHO YOU ARE, AND IT WILL BE TEN TIMES WORSE IF YOU DON'T REAPPEAR!!!"

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: CarriageGuy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:33 am

hey, listen, i dont have a problem abiding by someone elses rules while in their house, i expect no less in my house or my board forums, but at some point you have to decide if you are going to *rule* the entire populus to tears due to the infactions of a few or just gently smack the fingers fo the few and leave the rest alone.

I submit the 150 punds of our U.S. Tax Code..."the tax code runs 17,000 pages and contains a mind-boggling 5.5 million words. By way of comparison, War and Peace is only 1,444 pages and the Bible checks in at 1,291 pages." :roll:

If you make *too many* rules, soon no one will come to visit your house.

Last edited by CarriageGuy on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
High-Tech Redneck
CarriageGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Fnord » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:45 am

Most of the rules here are to keep people safe and the forums clean. They are reasonable.

Fnord
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:10 pm

Dirt off your shoulders man, chill out, Mr C probably didn't mean to personally attack you, he was just trying to be fair. If he lets you post questions deemed easily answered by searching then soon the site will be flooded with other similar questions. Be happy you weren't scolded by DR like me when I first joined spudtech, so I mean relax.

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: CarriageGuy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:24 pm

ShowNoMercy wrote:Dirt off your shoulders man, chill out, Mr C probably didn't mean to personally attack you, he was just trying to be fair. If he lets you post questions deemed easily answered by searching then soon the site will be flooded with other similar questions. Be happy you weren't scolded by DR like me when I first joined spudtech, so I mean relax.

i did not mean to imply that he was *personally* attacking me... just not being very friendly imo.

"If he lets you post questions deemed easily answered by searching then soon the site will be flooded with other similar questions.."

A how-to site flooded with questions.... oh the humanity. :roll:

"we're a how-to site, just dont ask us how...???" ummmm, ok.

High-Tech Redneck
CarriageGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:48 pm

Ok so you interpreted that wrong, but what I was trying to say is answering the same question over and over gets to be a tad annoying and some members here take more offense to that than others. Its not that questions wont get answered its more that when you question can be answered by taking a minute to search, that it gets frustrating.

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:54 pm

"we're a how-to site, just dont ask us how...???"

This is a spudgun site with a how-to section, not the other way around. Many of the creations on this forum are potentially lethal if used irresponsibly, so there are certain basic things than anyone with common sense can figure out, the reasoning is that if you need to ask certain things, then you're probably in the wrong hobby.

You have to understand that as with any hobby forum, veteran members get tired of always seeing the same questions crop up. Someone will always be ready to help, but there is already a wealth of information here that is easily searchable, not to mention the associated spud wiki, so it's not unreasonable to expect newbies to do a bit of research before asking questions.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: CarriageGuy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:42 pm

Jack, i understand about the veteran members, i would only add the following to that, with the understnading that this *is* indeed a potential deadly hobby, actually taking the time to *speak* to a newbie *might* prevent blowing themself or others into the next neighborhood, instead of simply sending them off into the potentially neverending maze of cookie-cutter generic answers.

Take my case; i *did* the search before i posted for the first time.
I searched for about an hour for info i needed on my particular rainbird sprinkler valve, to no avail.

I could have just not posted at all, requesting help, seeing as how i noticed before my first post the animosity towards asking questions, and went ahead blindly with my modifications, hoping for the best.

Instead, someone took the time to help, and from my standpoint it was greatly appreciated.

High-Tech Redneck
CarriageGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 pm

As I said, you'll always find someone willing to offer advice, along with those who might not be - this is a consistent feature of all the internet forums I've frequented, so I wouldn't hold it against spudfiles or make an issue out of it.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:58 pm

ok so we have pretty much exhausted this conversation to the point of boring the crap out of me, what started off as a nice conversation about remote firing mechanisms has turned into a tampon party, you all sound like a bunch of petty women. MR. C is an effective moderator, he does his job for which he doesn't get paid very well and if he steps on people's toes then oh well. at least you didn't get the wrath of PC Guy brought down on you. carriage guy I hope you stick around cause youhave brought you have brought some good ideas to the board. you just have to respect the rules and think about what you're gonna post before you post period. anyway hope to see you around here for a long time to come.

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion