Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 68 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

3/4" Valve Preformance

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
3/4" Valve Preformance

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:33 am

With the end of the school semester and my return to the states looming over my head, I decided it would be best to start planning what my next cannon would be. I have eventually decided upon using the model from the Bergles Cannon
This proposed cannon will have a 3" chamber and a 1.5" barrel. My proposed idea is that this will be activated by a 3/4" (modded) sprinkler valve. My question is: will my performance be drastically reduced in comparison to using a 1" valve? Also, would it be worth the extra money to buy the 1" valve?
(Note I include extra money. Many of you will think "it's not that much more" but I seem to have very bad luck when it comes to modding sprinkler valves. But please don't re-direct me to different tutorials, I know how to do it, and I have recently discovered my error.)

Last edited by mega_swordman on Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: octane89 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:42 am

The bigger the valve, the more flow. Which means more power. I always see 3/4 valves the same price as a 1in, Id say just get thte 1inch. There would be a somewhat noticable performance decrease too with the 3/4.

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected."
Go Listen to My Friends...The Devil Wears Prada
octane89
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:03 am

A 1" valve has almost twice the flow of a .75" valve. That won't mean twice the performance, but it will still be a HUGE increase.

It's worth the extra money, as long as the difference in cost isn't vast.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: grumpy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:08 am

having built several of the bergles cannons i agree with octane89 go with the 1"valve , if you realy want to unlock the full potental of this system you should get one of the 2" spinkler valves. just some advice when you build, do it so that later you can upgrade the sprinkler valve.

grumpy
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:43 pm

Thank you for the advice. Grumpy, I have tried making the gun so it could be easily modified, but I can't seem to find a way to design it without the valve being stuck between two male adapters with no room for it to be removed. How do you suggest I make the cannon so it can be modified? (or at least, have the valve taken out and replaced easily)

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: grumpy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:27 pm

i asume you will be using a threaded sprinkler valve. somewhere on the barrel side simply put in a union. that way when you want to change out the valve simply unscrew the union, then just unscrew the valve and their you go.
also what loading system are you going to use?

grumpy
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:16 am

I am planning on using a breech loader similar to that of Advanced Spud's version

mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: grumpy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:34 am

i guess that design would work for you , but it would be to slow reloading for me.

grumpy
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:47 pm

I sincerely apologize for kicking up this thread, but I just need to clarify what Grumpy said. I have here a diagram (or part of it) of what the Bergles Cannon will look like.
Now then, The long horizontal section of pipe on the left, if I put a union there, will I be able to unscrew that? (Sorry if this is a bit of a n00bish question, I haven't seen/held a union in the "physical world" so I'm not exactly sure how well it will work)

I would also like to apologize to Grumpy for having to deal will my lack of understanding, do you have any pictures to help me out?

Also, to clarify, the sections on either side of the sprinkler valve are elbows with one side of them being male adapters. I would like to use these to cut down on the length of the back section.

mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: grumpy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:30 pm

no need to apologiize i was not offended and do not mind ansewring questions, what size is the inner barrel going to be? well hope this turns out ok.

Attachments
bi.JPG
best i could do.
QDUnions.jpg
these are unions, i think most people here use to make burst disks

grumpy
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:15 am

The barrel will be 1 1/2" and the sprinkler valve ( and corresponding parts around it) will be 1".
Thanks a lot, I get it now.

mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion