Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 68 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

1" QEV?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:33 pm

psycix wrote:Surface of flow: 2*pi*r*r

There's no factor of 2 in area of a circle.
It's 2*pi*r for circumference, pi*r<sup>2</sup> for area - you have a blend of both. However, the ratio is fine.

The problem with dual valves is that the extra pipe work adds a lot of dead space.

I still have plans I drew up a while ago for a 30 bar four piston valve cannon with a 2 metre barrel (appropriately called Leviathan). GGDT tells me it would get 262m/s or 860 fps (2434 J/1795 ft-lbs) with a potato.
I was suffering from visions of kickass because the A-Team theme had come up on my music player though - I find that cannons change depending on the music I was listening to when I came up with them.

I'm almost tempted to try it, simply to see what that much power is like.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:10 pm

The problem with dual valves is that the extra pipe work adds a lot of dead space.

I still have plans I drew up a while ago for a 30 bar four piston valve cannon with a 2 metre barrel (appropriately called Leviathan). GGDT tells me it would get 262m/s or 860 fps (2434 J/1795 ft-lbs) with a potato.
I was suffering from visions of kickass because the A-Team theme had come up on my music player though - I find that cannons change depending on the music I was listening to when I came up with them.

I'm almost tempted to try it, simply to see what that much power is like.

that sounds awesome although wouldn't it be hard finding a 4 into 1 socket? the pilot would also have a large(ish) volume and as you said the dead space is a limitation but it could be done, although i wouldn't like the job of making four identical piston valves :lol: i haven't even made one work yet :(

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:32 pm

ALIHISGREAT wrote:that sounds awesome although wouldn't it be hard finding a 4 into 1 socket? the pilot would also have a large(ish) volume and as you said the dead space is a limitation but it could be done, although i wouldn't like the job of making four identical piston valves :lol: i haven't even made one work yet :(

4 valves is easy work, it's just a repetition of a basic concept. Also, 4 into 1 isn't that hard either - Two valves feeding into the arms of a tee on each side, and those tees feeding into a third. Remaining tee arm goes to barrel.

Those would be minor issues. A high volume of 30 bar air dumping through 4 valves... would be loud.
I might make it in a smaller size, for somewhere between a thousand joules/thousand foot pounds.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:39 pm

Those would be minor issues. A high volume of 30 bar air dumping through 4 valves... would be loud.
I might make it in a smaller size, for somewhere between a thousand joules/thousand foot pounds.

maybe a marble cannon with a 2m barrel working at those pressures would have good power :twisted: although the barrel would be expensive or you could use four 1/4" qevs on a 6-10mm cannon...

on an unrelated note how were you planning to get to 30bar? i'm guessing an air rifle pump or a homemade pump?

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:13 pm

The modified compressor I'm planning to make should get to just over 30 bar.
I was thinking more like a 4 foot long 28mm or 35mm barrel.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:38 pm

Ragnarok wrote:The modified compressor I'm planning to make should get to just over 30 bar.
I was thinking more like a 4 foot long 28mm or 35mm barrel.

i think i may try and find a freezer pump and make a compressor out of that which should be a challenge (for me) at some point when i have decided whether i really want a paintball marker or not... damn my indecisiveness :roll:

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:58 pm

I don't know whether I want to build a gas booster or modify a fridge compressor, but I'm sure prices will make the decision for me.

And I have a similar thing going on. Right now, I'm telling myself I don't need things, and then want them, then realise there's a way round it, then...

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:53 am

Ragnarok wrote:
psycix wrote:Surface of flow: 2*pi*r*r

There's no factor of 2 in area of a circle.
It's 2*pi*r for circumference, pi*r<sup>2</sup> for area - you have a blend of both. However, the ratio is fine.

OMG your right.....
I should look up formulas before posting them argh....
Feeling stupid lol...

But indeed the ratio stays the same. So its not a worse mistake... only stupid.

psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:16 am

octane89 wrote:Ions...paintballs low point. I have seen a 1inch qev, and will see if I can find it in my history online.

I read about some here.
http://www.globalmanufacturing.com/prod ... ccessories

Could this be used as a ready made chamber and valve package on a marble gun say?

sorry for hijacking ill get back on topic now. if you were to have those four qevs would the added 10 turns make a difference to the power or will it be overshadowed by the sheer flow of those valves

Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:39 am

Carlman wrote:sorry for hijacking ill get back on topic now. if you were to have those four qevs would the added 10 turns make a difference to the power or will it be overshadowed by the sheer flow of those valves

Well, I would probably make piston valves... but the flow from the valves would be a much larger deciding factor than the losses from the turns.

Per valve, I've built launchers with a similar number of turns which worked just fine.

Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:32 pm

I found a 3/4" QEV for you on eBay that is $9.99 + shipping, ending at 10 pm (1.5 hours from the time of this post) Eastern Time (I think :oops: ). Not only is it a quality QEV, it can be filled from the chamber side, a quality which the McMaster ones do not have.

Send me a PM if you want it.

Edit: Found a big 1.5" for the same price :lol:

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: sjog » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:56 pm

Are those QEV's gone ?

sjog
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:03 pm

You better not buy all of them! When I come home tommarow I expect to see at least two there! :wink:

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: ShowNoMercy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:53 pm

Ok I just bought a 3/2 inch QEV and I was wondering, it has two pilot intakes on the back of it. Whats the deal with that? Oh and btw there are now 29 left. :wink:

Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
ShowNoMercy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: socoj2 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:33 pm

I have 2x 3/4 deltrols ill sell for $30 Shipped.

socoj2
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion