Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 72 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 67 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Water Cannon Concept (think firehose)

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Water Cannon Concept (think firehose)

Unread postAuthor: Zippster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:31 pm

At my friends b-day the other day, he filled his small pneumatic's chamber full of water, then with the shop air still attached and open, he simply opened the firing valve and let loose a massive stream of water that sustained while he angled it down. Inspired, I drew up plans for a watergun/firehose that would put his little trick to shame.

Its really simple: think a paintballgun, except replace the CO2 cannister with a hose adapter complete with a ball valve to let water flow and a checkvalve to not backup the system. Then stick a similarly-valved airline on the back of the 'breech' and wallah. To fire I'd let the hose flow and then crank the air to soak all who would dare piss me off.

The only issues I can imagine would be a backflow of air pushing the water back into the hose, or a similar incapability for the garden hose to cope with the high-pressure air. I figure the check valve would fix this, but whether or not it would let enough flow through is another issue. Aside from that, my only other question would be about the impact of relative 'chamber' and nozzle sizes, ie. would it help to have a large chamber for the water to accumulate.

Please mention any suggestions or constructive criticism you might have.

Last edited by Zippster on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zippster
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: BigJon » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:59 pm

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/hydro-gun-t1610,lighter,0.html

This is a really good design and it sounds like what you want.

BigJon
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Thursto » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:05 pm

This should of been posted in the "non spudgun related topics" but owell, a mod can moe it there if they want. It sounds like a good idea, i cant wait to see the final design and see the built version. From what u say ur design sounds like, it sounds like it'd work.

~ Thursto

~ AUSSIE LAND ~
Thursto
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: Maniac » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:26 pm

sounds like some thing fun heres another link that might help if that doesnt work out http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/water-blaster1.htm

Coodude26 wrote:
People who laugh really hard at stuff that pisses you off/you getting hurt, who then say "I'm sorry, I can't stop" but you know they easily could.

Mr.C: That's not as easy as you think. It's like me kicking you in the balls and telling you to stop crying.
Maniac
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Zippster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:25 pm

The one problem I can think of now is if the water simply ran out of the pipe on the bottom while the air ran above that. I figure if I made the pipe small enough it would get rid of this problem, but if not, do you think that putting a valve on the end of the nozzle, letting the rest of the pipe fill up with water and air, then blast it?

Zippster
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:50 am

It's all been done (Barenaked ladies anyone? Woohoohoo) Anyway, it was done and documented on Xinventions. Until I can get my internet to work better, just look under pneumatic launcher for water cannons. He has two models, the flamethrower backpack and the one you described.

EDIT: The link is http://www.xinventions.com/main/spud/water_cannon.htm

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion