Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 4 registered, 1 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Muzzle Brakes?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:42 pm

the wieght of the projectie does NOT matter with a muzzle brake. you can not negate newtons laws.

however, you can stop the air escaping from your chamber from acting like a rocket engine and blowing the gun bakwards into you.....

potatoflinger, when you fire your cannon, is there significant airflow coming out the sides of the cross? try firing it on a dusty floor and see the areas of dust that are kicked up, either that or put some papers around the barrel and see if ones to the side get moved.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:12 pm

hubb017 wrote:What if the holes were drilled at an angle?

I think that you would have to have an extremely thick walled barrel for that idea to work.

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:14 pm

still it wouldnt do much. anyway, im not drilling holes in the barrel, i dont want to mess up my accuracy.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:20 pm

I am often asked why the Eclipse launcher has a muzzle break. Most people assume that it is merely for looks, but it serves a purpose. If an operator (such as a paintball player) sticks the barrel into the dirt it allows for them to firstly identify the clogged barrel and secondly the holes allow the user to easily bang the debris from the barrel end. Simply drilling holes can interfere with the round, especially if the holes are not deburred properly. The Eclipse uses a thread on break that allows for clearance.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:26 pm

VH_man wrote:the wieght of the projectie does NOT matter with a muzzle brake. you can not negate newtons laws.

however, you can stop the air escaping from your chamber from acting like a rocket engine and blowing the gun bakwards into you.....

potatoflinger, when you fire your cannon, is there significant airflow coming out the sides of the cross? try firing it on a dusty floor and see the areas of dust that are kicked up, either that or put some papers around the barrel and see if ones to the side get moved.

Well, the weight of the projectile effects the amount of recoil that there is to begin with, so if you're using a light projectile, then there isn't really any recoil at all, so it would be hard to tell if there is a difference or not.

Also, I have taken a lot of flour and poured it down the barrel and fired just a load of flour to see if there was anything coming out the sides of the muzzle brake, and there was actually a lot of flour coming out the sides of the muzzle brake, so I guess there is significant airflow coming out of the sides of the cross.

It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:26 pm

I can smell shameless advertising, in my opinion your "Muzzle Brake" serves no other purpose than to appease the asthetics gods.
BTW, Nice gun.

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:37 pm

The fact the cross actually does something intruiges me....... alot. try putting two elbows on the ends and see if the flour comes back in your face.... lol.

i know i just started work on my brake. it is built like a supressor, except there are angled slits on the side, and it is square. hopefully it does something, because the dry-fire kick from my marble gun is pretty strong. adding a marble does not add much more kick.

PLUSSS it makes the gun seem louder to the shooter. i have no problem witht that :-)

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:42 pm

Well, I was just using flour, and it did have some sort of effect, but I'm not sure exactly how much of an effect, it could act differently when there is actually a projectile in the barrel, I might have to do some more testing when it gets warmer.

It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: bluerussetboy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:54 pm

somethings to keep in mind with muzzlebrakes. the smaller the bore of the rifle the more effective the brake will be. the larger the case/chamber capacity, the higher the muzzle pressure will be and the more effective the brake will work at decreasing felt recoil.

i use a Holland muzzlebrake on my .338 Win.Mag. it is quite effective.

bluerussetboy
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: hi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:45 pm

they also do two other things-

(A) it prevents muzzle climb on full auto (obviously not a problem on a potato gun)

(B) it reduces accuracy. (again, not really an issue with a potato gun) this is the main reason that the ak-47 is only good for medium range.

"physics, gravity, and law enforcement are the only things that prevent me from operating at my full potential" - not sure, but i like the quote

you know you are not an engineer if you have to remind yourself "left loosy righty tighty"
hi
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:11 pm

I think it does reduce and quite significantly because I used to love to fill my barrel with water and see if I can take the mad kick but ever since I put a muzzle break on it when I fire with my barrel full of water it doesnt seem to kick back as much anymore :cry:
it still kicks like a beast but not nearly as much as it used to

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:44 am

The other use for a brake is to hold a pin that acts as a secondary safety for soft rounds such as paintballs and bean bags.

I have a brake that was for a Tippmann SMG68 that used lower ports at forty five degree angles to direct the CO2 exhaust into a vortex, allowing you to see through the middle of the cloud on cold days.

Novacastrian, thanks for the compliment. But you must agree that it looks better than without. No shame here. After six years of R and D, the first ones are at the plater getting anodized black.

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:10 am

I agree, however does the "Muzzle Brake" work by definition?

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Solar » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:35 am

You are right. No, it does not actually function as a brake. I was just trying to make the point that they are not altogether useless on a pneumatic launcher. The end of the barrel is threaded to allow it to be attached, so if someone comes up with an effective brake it will be ready to be adapted.

I guess I could call it a muzzle debris evacuation system. :-)

Solar
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:37 am

i would have thought the 'muzzle brake' on the eclipse would improve the grouping, you should test with and without because i think it would have a similar effect to the vang comp system that hubb017 mentioned on the first page.

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion