Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Sprinkler Valve in the winter?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Sprinkler Valve in the winter?

Unread postAuthor: AlbinoSpud » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:13 pm

Will Sprinkler Valves explode if I use it in the snow?

AlbinoSpud
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:17 pm

Well most likely it will be for pneumatic use, and in the winter usually pneumatics are not used unless made from a metal. I have never heard of a sprinkler vavle blowing up in the witner so i really dont think so. Just make sure to use metal if you are making a pneumatic cannon.

And what is this for, if any? Just curious :wink:

4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:23 pm

My theory is if you know you are in weather colder than 45 degrees F once the pvc gets cold to the touch warm the deal back up, when i go shooting keep my truck running for a little bit so that when it gets cold i toss the gun on the floor board of my truck and kick the heat at it. once it gets warmed back up i swap out guns. i also keep my co2 tank on the floor board so that it evaporates off and keeps the pressure up in my 10lb tank as well as my propane tank when i'm not shooting my combustion.

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Maniac » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:51 pm

umm why is this in the showcase. please remember to post in the right place next time.

I think it will be pretty hard to blow up a sprinkler valve the pvc on the other hand will probably explode before if you bring it up that high. and most sprinkerl valves are usually only taken up to 120, because any higher might rip the dighaphram in side.

Coodude26 wrote:
People who laugh really hard at stuff that pisses you off/you getting hurt, who then say "I'm sorry, I can't stop" but you know they easily could.

Mr.C: That's not as easy as you think. It's like me kicking you in the balls and telling you to stop crying.
Maniac
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:19 pm

Maniac wrote: and most sprinkerl valves are usually only taken up to 120, because any higher might rip the dighaphram in side.

Umm no. Most are taken to 120 because that's what most air compressors go up to and therefore is somewhat of a benchmark number. I know a lot of people that go up to 200 lbs or more if the sprinkler valve is rated to handle it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: AlbinoSpud » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:23 pm

Oh okay, I needed to know so I don't have to throw away my first cannon :cry:

Where should've I posted this?

AlbinoSpud
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: nivekatoz » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:28 pm

Why dont you use a all brass solenoid valve...They work just like sprinkler valves only stronger.....asco ,dayton,etc.....make them, they work, good I know I have used them......

nivekatoz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:35 pm

yeah you should be fine, I actually shoot snow balls out of my 2.5" barrel for kicks, but when it's cold i wont take it up to 120, i'll go to like 40-50 psi it's still fun just not as far of a shot.

umm you put this in the pneumatic cannon showcase and it should have been put up in the discussion side of it. it's ok it's been moved.

facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:00 pm

AlbinoSpud wrote:Oh okay, I needed to know so I don't have to throw away my first cannon :cry:

Where should've I posted this?

Read the descriptions below the forum sections, should clear it up. But the showcase sections are for when you have made a cannon and want to show it off with pictures and videos and what not :P

I wouldn't recommend using the valve below freezing for too long, just short intervals, if you're using PVC I wouldn't recommend using it in the snow full stop. So just keep the valve out of the snow and cold for as long as possible, every few minutes go back inside and warm it back up.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Zippster » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:12 pm

I live in Austin and it doesn't get that cold compared to where you guys probably live. I'm planning on bringing 3 simple ball-valve cannons to a local event for ppl to shoot bike-pump-style, but it just so happens to be during the coldest time of the year - which is at the lowest I remember it 40 degrees. Should I worry at all about the cold if we're only going to pump them up to say 75 at the absolute most?

Proud to be the only kid on my robotics team with pneumatics experience.
Zippster
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion