Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 78 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 73 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Weird gauge issue

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Weird gauge issue

Unread postAuthor: lemmiwinks » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:29 pm

So I dropped a gauge, and now it seems like the needle is zeroed in at 20 PSI. The weird thing is that the gauge still works, but I don't know how well. Is it safe to use this gauge and just assume pressure is 20 PSI less than what the dial reads?

lemmiwinks
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: cwazy1 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:54 pm

i would assume so, but to be on the safe side, test your gauge to a correct one...an even better solution would to be just buying another gauge :wink:

I bought a signature twice because I was an idiot. 600 bux =(

cwazy1
Captain
Captain

Re: Weird gauge issue

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:58 pm

lemmiwinks wrote:Is it safe to use this gauge and just assume pressure is 20 PSI less than what the dial reads?

In a word, no.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:20 pm

My gauge lies to me all the time now.

It believes about 5-10psi is 0psig now. Possibly because I overpump the gauge by 50% over its final markings.

the gauge on the pump is fixed in so I can't replace it with something more appropriate like a 0-300psi gauge :(

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: lemmiwinks » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:17 pm

In case anyone was wondering I tested it out in conjunction with a couple other gauges and it seems to be fine, just zeroed in at 20.

lemmiwinks
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Novacastrian » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:22 pm

I found that you can zero gauges, there is a thin strip of brass that connects the copper "bladder", the thing that actually moves when compressed air tells it to. I found that by either flattening it or extending with needle nose pliers one could zero the needle. After "fixing" it it read to within about 5psi i think. I am sure someone can find a pic or diagram of the workings of a gauge, *cough*jsr*cough...

America, the greatest gangster of all time. With 200 million odd foot soldiers at it's whim and call.
When you fill your car with refined oil remember that it has been paid for with blood and guts, some from your own countrymen, most not.

Novacastrian
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion