Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 76 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Is this ok?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:49 pm

MrCrowley wrote:A LOT! Well in sound anyway, it's incredible at just 50psi, i've had people hear it as far away as the beach, which is over 300m away.

lucky B****** i wish i lived 300m away from a beach... maybe you could try skimming a golfball or something (not sure how well it would work on wavy sea) and shooting over water could be useful for checking out range because you would see the splash, unless your cannon is so powerful it shoots stuff over the horizen 8)

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:54 pm

Well I have a golf course right outside, so I do my primary range shooting there when it's closed, or deserted.

Makes it easy for calculating range because I find out what tree it lands next to and go on google earth and use the ruler.

If I shot into the ocean I would have no reference to measure it against in google earth.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:59 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Well I have a golf course right outside, so I do my primary range shooting there when it's closed, or deserted.

Makes it easy for calculating range because I find out what tree it lands next to and go on google earth and use the ruler.

If I shot into the ocean I would have no reference to measure it against in google earth.

you have a golf course right next to you too?!? i'm even more jealous now, all i have is a muddy field that i don't want to walk over to find my ammo and its kind of hard in the summer when its full of meter high crops :roll:

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:03 pm

haha i dont even have a field i shoot in a niehgbor hood so when i shoot its goes to some other street i have to stand on top of my roof to shoot then i use google earth to measure where it lands

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:07 pm

elitesniper wrote:haha i dont even have a field i shoot in a niehgbor hood so when i shoot its goes to some other street i have to stand on top of my roof to shoot then i use google earth to measure where it lands

you shoot over an inhabited area :shock: i would be concerned about the ammo like landing on someone or hitting tem in the back of the neck and killing them or something... i spuppose you could shout "heads" before shooting :lol:

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:07 pm

Well this is my main shooting range for the golf course shotting from my house. The yellow area is the safe zone where I can see what i'm shooting at, the furtherest recorded distance is just under 390m without the sprinkler valve.

So i've maxed out the distance at 400m until I get some solid figures witht the sprinkler valve, because at 420m i'm going to be hitting roads and houses :oops:

Attachments
a.jpg
Shooting Range
MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: noob of noobs » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:10 pm

elitesniper wrote:well there thick enough that i cant bend it with my fingers. :) and one more thing home depot sells 1/4 female threaded tees right?

I've never seen 1/4" PVC fittings, but I have seen 1/4" steel tees (steel's always threaded) Did you mean a 1 1/4" tee?
As to your question about a blowgun piloting the valve, you can try, but you'll have to have a really tight piston. I wasn't able to pilot a 1" hot glue piston with a heavily modded blowgun, but pepto bismol bottles are a pretty good fit, and I'm don't have the best record of sucess with piston valves, (How many tee's did I ruin? :oops: ) so I'm sure you could do it. You'll probably have to mod it though.

noob of noobs
Captain
Captain

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:12 pm

@MrCrowley: It's kind of funny that the SGA is louder than the SCTBDC. No one outside of my closest neighbours have ever heard it. Must be something to do with the efficiency; the pressure drop on the SCTBDC is 430 psi, so only 40 psi is left at the barrel tip. What's the pressure drop on the SGA?

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:15 pm

yea i ment brass or steel ones there cheap right? in the us i mean.
And when i shoot for range i dont shoot heavy stuff i just shoot like oranges and stuff it would hurt less if it hit someone then a steel slug or somthing :D and people should hear a sound (its a burst disk cannon) so maby theyll duck for cover :lol: haha, wow MrCrowley thats a beutiful range.

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:20 pm

well i can shoot 2000 yards without hitting anything :D

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|gamlingay#t=l&map=52.1665,-0.17927|15|8&loc=GB:52.15557:-0.19292:14|gamlingay|Gamlingay,%20Sandy,%20Bedfordshire,%20England,%20SG19%203

unfortunatly google earth has died on me but i will use multi map to try and explain... my village is the big one bottom left and i would be shooting roughly NE towards the village at the top in the middle and i would be shooting from the bottom left corner of the field NE right by my village :)

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:22 pm

you gun can shoot 2000 yards?? or the field is 2000 yards? and does any one know the appox price of a 1/4 female threaded brass tee? in California

Last edited by elitesniper on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:24 pm

elitesniper wrote:you gun can shoot 2000 yards?? or the field is 2000 yards?

yeah i have a super awesome 3/4" qev cannon that can shoot a 4g paintball 2000 yards :D lol not really i wish though, the field is not 2000 yards but if you look North east east (i think is the correct way of describing the direction) there is just over 2000yards of fields (roughly)

ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:26 pm

thats a nice shooting range then :D i wish i had that kinda of space :(

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: ALIHISGREAT » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:29 pm

well its not ideal from where i shoot from you can't see far at all and projectile retreval is hard because it lands in the middle of a planted field but if i'm lucky the crops are small :)

edit: and i'm not that lucky, i only have a 30yard range if i want to shoot accuratly or use a smaller cannon or for 'plinking' (by plinking i mean shooting spuds at the wall of my house and watching them explode on impact :D )

Last edited by ALIHISGREAT on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALIHISGREAT
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:30 pm

elitesniper, a threaded tee should cost no more than 5 bucks, if it's brass. I would personally just use galvanized fittings, because brass can get expensive.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion