Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 48 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

A pneu Pneu idea

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
A pneu Pneu idea

Unread postAuthor: brogdenlaxmiddie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:06 pm

Okay. So, i needed something to dump tons of air and super fast... so i was told to use a burst disk or a piston valve. I thought it would be easier for me to use a burst disk. So i unfortunately already bought a 2" bronze ball valve and had that laying around. So what if i used the ball valve to release the pressure to then go against the burst valve and then break that releasing the projectile to untold speeds... (LOL) but i wanted to use the ball valve so that i could determine when the cannon would fire, as opposed to it just going off when there was enough pressure. I was hoping that there would be just enough time for me to fully open the ball valve before the burst disk would break. What do you guys think?

brogdenlaxmiddie
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: thespeedycicada » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:13 pm

Thats exactly what THE STING! is its hard to make it powerful though.You need a burst disc that bursts a little higher than the pressure you are using.its what i did annd its an improvement over my sprinkler valve.

current projects: co-axial piston valve.Status DONE!
S.P.E.C.S update mk 1 construction begining in febuary all the maths for it are done plans are drawn up and parts are listed.
NEXT project:auto piston valve.
thespeedycicada
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: SpudFarm » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:17 pm

yeah that works i have done it on a ballvalve gun gets better atleast

SpudFarm
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: brogdenlaxmiddie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:25 pm

i see. I hadn't seen the sting before... but hey, great minds think alike!

brogdenlaxmiddie
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:34 pm

Like discussed in 'The Sting', the ball valve constricts flow, piston valves aren't too hard :)

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:35 pm

Do you have a compressor/compressed gas cylinder?

If so, use the ball valve as a trigger, putting it between the air line and the chamber. This way, opening the valve will fill the entire chamber until the disk bursts, rather than opening about 1/4 before the disk breaks. This is the mechanism the MBDC uses, and I believe it is fairly powerful for its caliber (.787) and pressure (500 psi).

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: brogdenlaxmiddie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:31 pm

i do have a compressor.... however, its my dad's and he got one to paint our dock box for our yacht. so it only goes up to like a max of maybe 130 psi... :oops: but Oh well. thanks guys for your ideas!

brogdenlaxmiddie
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: BigJon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:16 pm

130 psi is plenty. Just do a few test to find what pressure is required to burst the disks. My compressor only goes to 130psi also and even at 60psi I get good performace out of a burst disk valve.

BigJon
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion