Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 54 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Newb time - shopping problems

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Newb time - shopping problems

Unread postAuthor: VooDooCC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:21 am

So I went to the main 3 hardware stores in town. (Lowe's, Home Depot, and Menard's) and none of them could help me.

1) I could not find anything that went to 1" - So how would I drop from say 3" to 1" male thread for the sprinkler valve?

2) Most fittings were DWV, so I was unsure as to the safety of them.

3) I found blow guns and hose, but no 1/4" to barbed for the hose

4) I couldn't find threaded schrader valves.

5) I know to go with 1" sprinkler valve, but is there any recomendations for the best model?

I know y'all are probably thinking that if I am having this many probelms just shopping then I shouldn't even try getting into the hobby. But everyone has to start somewhere, right?

VooDooCC
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:35 am

1) Try going 3"-2", then 2" to 1". May cost more but may be the only way.

So you may need, 3"-2" bushing, 2"-1" bushing then a 1" male threaded adapter like <A HREF="http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/1/00344.jpg">this.</a>

2) Good move, don't ever use DWV in a pneumatic.
Lowes and Home Depot I know stock pressure fittings, I hear Menards does too.

3)They can be found at local hardware stores or a Home Depot, just have a good look round. It's also better for performance if you just mount the blowgun directly into the sprinkler valve without a hose.

4) Some hardware stores have them, some auto shops also have them, if not you can always buy one from www.bcarms.com

BCARMS in a spudgun website that sells common spudgun supplies and some harder to find necessities, like a threaded schrader.

5) The green orbit model that has no guide rod is the most common and works very well, easy to mod also.

Like this:

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: VooDooCC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:08 pm

Thank you MrCrowley, good song by the way 8)

Should I stay away from a sprinkler valve with a flow control? I'm thinking it'd be easier to drill into the center as there's already a pilot hole, but didn't know how bad that hindered performance.

VooDooCC
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:26 pm

I hear ya dude, pressure rated PVC is practically non-existant in any hardware stores in my area.

However, there are alternatives: Check for copper and/or glavanized steel pipe, alot of stores carry those.

And you can use a tubeless tire valve in place of a threaded one, just pull the narrow end through the hole.

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:49 pm

If you were having problems finding any barbed brass parts and what not in home depot you should have your privileges revoked. for all your barbed fitting needs you will be looking in the plumbing section typically a few aisles away from where your pvc fittings are.

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: mega_swordman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:39 pm

1) in regards to going from 3" to 1", MrCrowley's alternative is your best bet. As for finding 3" parts, try looking at a local OSH hardware store. I am not sure if it applies to your local OSH, but of all the OSH stores I have gone to (I live in the bay area) have pressure related parts up to 4".

4) Try asking for "Sump Pump Repair Parts", and it will probably be there. If not, the store won't carry them. It may take a bit of looking around to find it locally. As MrCrowley said, if you can't find it locally, BCArms carries them.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." George S. Patton
mega_swordman
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: daberno123 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:22 pm

Almost nothing pressure rated above 2" will be found at lowe's or home depot. Best bet is to order them online at http://www.mcmaster.com or look through your phone book for plumbing supplies stores. I personally order my sprinkler valves from http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com they sell the brand crowley recommended. Go to a bike store for a shrader

daberno123
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:50 pm

VooDooCC wrote:Thank you MrCrowley, good song by the way 8)

Should I stay away from a sprinkler valve with a flow control? I'm thinking it'd be easier to drill into the center as there's already a pilot hole, but didn't know how bad that hindered performance.

No problem and yeah it's my favourite :)

Do you mean the knob that you can turn to adjust the flow? Yeah i'd try and stay clear of them, get that orbit I showed you if you can, but if not there is a way to mod flow control valves.

Some people have done it, i'm not sure what performance difference there is, but I think they have a guide rod, which you have to mod slightly.

And thankyou for searching first btw, you already seem to know a fair bit.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: VooDooCC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:49 am

no need for thanks on the searching 8)

Another question though...
I found everything I need for the 2" that I'm working on. So I started cutting away at the pipe just to realize that even though the bin said sch 40. The pipe says sch 40 and dwv. :?: I believe it said it's rated at like 280, but would that be safe enough to use if I just keep the pressure below 100psi? The whole water psi versus air psi thing is throwing me off.

VooDooCC
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:34 am

If it has a PSI rating, e.g 280PSI or has NSF-PW on the pipe it should be fine.

Just double check to make sure.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: VooDooCC » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:55 am

It does have NSF-PW on it.

Just waiting on my sprinkler valve to arrive, then I'll take some pictures for ya.

VooDooCC
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Okay, if it has NSF-PW on it, my understanding is that it's fine to use.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: VooDooCC » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:21 pm

Rather than starting a new topic with close to the same title, I just revived this one, if it upsets anyone I give full permission to hunt me down and shoot me with your canon. :lol:

I got a sprinkler valve, rainbird 1" jar top. My question is should I drill into the direct middle and seal up the bleed screw hole or could I just drill were the bleed screw went?

And will this work to seal it?

VooDooCC
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: daberno123 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:37 pm

I have no experience using plumber's putty but it is generally best to use epoxy. Go to your local hardware store. It comes in a dual syringe like bottle. Use that seal the solenoid port and the bleed screw port. You can probably drill the hole in the center but if there is anything in the way like a spring or a guide rod (not sure if that model has one).

daberno123
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion