Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 68 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

My Paintball Shotgun Round

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
My Paintball Shotgun Round

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:36 pm

Decided to make a paintball shotgun cartridge thingy today, for a new cannon i'm building.

The new cannon is for mini nerfs and will have a 2" dia barrel.
It will be breech loaded in a similar fashion to the nerf gun video that was lurking the forums not that long ago.

The barrel slides in a tee, bolt action style and it will lock into a 2" coupler.

My shotgun cartridge has a base diameter the same O.D as 2" pipe (or the coupler I.D) and the pipes themselves have a similar I.D to 2" pipe.

To load you simply fill with paintballs, jam in barrel, then lock the barrel with cartridge into the coupler and fire.

It has a maximum capacity of 21 paintballs, or 7 per barrel. You can fill it to the top, or maybe only put 3 in each barrel, it shouldn't matter.

This is more or less a prototype since I don't have any way to test it as of yet, so should be interesting how it performs.

Specs:
The round base is made from homemade sheet PVC and marine filler.

The three barrels are secured by a metal bracket I made and the PVC sheet at the bottom. Oh and more marine filler :D

capacity of 21 rounds. 7 per barrel.

It's not that tight of a fit for the paintballs, but they don't come out when tipped upside down, but come out easy if you push them with your finger.

Now for the pictures:

Comparison to a pen.

Top - Empty

Bottom - Empty

Top - Full

Bottom - Full

Not exactly pretty, I know :)

Oh and I got the idea from those paintball nades, the ones like <A HREF="http://rap4.com/paintball/os/m203-thunder-grenade-package-p-2714.html">this.</a>

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:42 pm

very cool mabey you can make with more rounds if you had a larger bore barrel, cant wait to see your new cannon what type of valve are you going to use for your new cannon, piston?

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:45 pm

Might be getting one of those new 1.5" ASCO valves off a member.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: goathunter » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:47 pm

"I ain't gonna lie... but dat ting jist butt ugly!"

If it works it works.

I will add this. Those Rap4 grenades suck.You'd be better off loading up three or six paintballs for your cartridge.

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan

"KA BLAAM! Elimination! Lack of education."-Big Mama, Fox and the Hound, Disney

goathunter
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:47 pm

ah i seehow well do they perform compared to a piston?

elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:50 pm

goathunter wrote:"I ain't gonna lie... but dat ting jist butt ugly!"

If it works it works.

I will add this. Those Rap4 grenades suck.You'd be better off loading up three or six paintballs for your cartridge.

Haha sure is, it looked better without all the marine filler, the metal brace looked good on it.

Well I ain't using it for paintball, hell i've never played paintball so I wouldn't a clue how well those nades work, but i'll take your advice :wink:

I'm just sick of making sabots, or jamming 20 cotton balls down the barrel. :D

@Elite

Not sure, no one has properly tested them yet, they should be good though. I don't really want to bother with a piston this time, this is supposed to be more portable and stuff. :)

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: goathunter » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:53 pm

The Rap4 grenades are cool to load up.Makes a good showing.Performance is horrible and loading is a pain in the butt.Alot of people have to rebuild the cartridge after 1 or 2 shots because the valve blew out of place.?The people I know who have them would just about kill to get a scepter instead.

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan

"KA BLAAM! Elimination! Lack of education."-Big Mama, Fox and the Hound, Disney

goathunter
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SpudBlaster15 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:58 pm

Interesting design MrC.

This is purely speculation, but do you foresee any issues with the accelerated paintballs from separate tubes impacting each other upon entry into the barrel, causing cascade breakage of several balls?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
SpudBlaster15
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: BigGrib » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:59 pm

Would you possibly make the muzzle side of that deal the same ID with some filler that way the deal doesn't lay at a wierd angle inside the barrel? just a though.

Yea, that's definitely going to get you at least a tazer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMkGOpAF4s">DONT TAZE ME BRO.. DONT TAZE ME... AHHHH</a>
facebook.com/biggrib
BigGrib
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:01 pm

goathunter wrote:The Rap4 grenades are cool to load up.Makes a good showing.Performance is horrible and loading is a pain in the butt.Alot of people have to rebuild the cartridge after 1 or 2 shots because the valve blew out of place.?The people I know who have them would just about kill to get a scepter instead.

Ah right, well i'll keep that in mind incase I become a paintballer. :)

Hopefully me and my friends are going soon but it's bloody expensive, it's like $50NZD ($35USD) for a gun, equipment and 100 paintballs, then it's like another $25 ($18USD) for another 100 paintballs.

Per person btw.

BigGrib wrote:Would you possibly make the muzzle side of that deal the same ID with some filler that way the deal doesn't lay at a wierd angle inside the barrel? just a though.

Yeah the epoxy fumes were getting to me today and I called it a day after awhile, but it's a definite upgrade in the near future.

SpudBlaster15 wrote:Interesting design MrC.

This is purely speculation, but do you foresee any issues with the accelerated paintballs from separate tubes impacting each other upon entry into the barrel, causing cascade breakage of several balls?

Thanks, and yeah I thought about it,have to wait and see I guess.

MrCrowley

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion