Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 76 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 73 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Copper pipe size

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Copper pipe size

Unread postAuthor: dave1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:03 am

I have a problem finding a short piece of tubing/pipe/whatever to fit inside type L copper tube. I am building a 1/2" piston valve for relieving a 2" (1.5" Ported) main piston. It would have to be something that I can solder in place. I have turned a piston from oak and faced it with gasket rubber. The only stumbling block is the piston seat which must protrude halfway into a 1/2" copper tee. I've tried various plastic arrangements, but they all melt when I do final soldered assembly. Has anyone ever found the right size for this application?

dave1
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: cdheller » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:11 pm

acr copper in 1/2 in has a o.d of 1/2 in .50
1/2 m,l,and k have i.d of .569 ,.545 ,and .528 .
If you heat copper red hot it becomes soft enough to work.
as in swaging from .500 to the i.d. of the k,l,or m.

hope this helps

cdheller
Donating Member
Donating Member

1/4"NPT brass nipple

Unread postAuthor: dave1 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:42 pm

Thanks. I've found the perfect tube to fit inside that L type copper. It's a short 1/4"NPT brass nipple. I was able to chuck it up in a 1/2" chuck and minimally turn/file it down to make a perfect fit. After I soldered it with just the right protrusion, I bored it out bigger to handle more exhaust. It works really great. I fill the whole setup through the blowgun trigger. I have a male QC on the blowgun and just feed it backwards. It's very quick. Dry fires are LOUD even at 50lbs.

dave1
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion