Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 70 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

How to secure your barrel to your piston?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
How to secure your barrel to your piston?

Unread postAuthor: limbeh » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:49 pm

Was just 30 minutes away from going out to buy my pipes / parts when I realised that in my design there's only a 4x3 inch reducing socket holding socket / bushing holding my barrel to my piston housing. The reducing bushing is 2 inches wide, I seriously doubt it can hold my 1.2m (48 inch) long, 3" diameter barrel together. I'm not too sure how to build a spacer that holds your chamber & barrel together for over-under cannons, so someone please help me on that.

Anyone got any suggestions? I also saw some people's cannons on the showcase that drilled holes through their barrels & stuck bolts through - would this be a good idea & would Araldite epoxy be good enough to seal the hole that the bolt goes through (max pressure 125 psi)?

Thanks.

Attachments
using bolt to secure barrel.JPG
Using a bolt to secure the barrel to the piston housing.
using bolt to secure barrel.JPG (19.43 KiB) Viewed 437 times
limbeh
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: daberno123 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:15 pm

You don't need a bolt. You're fine with your design. I hope it goes well

daberno123
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: limbeh » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:49 am

Hi,

As of now, I have both a 4x3" reducing bushing & a 4x3" reducing socket. Any suggestions on which one should I use?

At the same time, I'm considering having a design where the barrel doesn't stick into the tee but simply goes into the fitting (bush or socket). This is because my barrel has a rating of 87 psi while I intend to go up to 120psi at max, so I'm not sure if my barrel would get crushed if it sticks inside the tee.

Being in a place where the authorities and killjoys are always trying and & seeking excuses to ban things, I can't risk any accidents / injuries / mishaps, since this would kill off the hobby of spudgunning here even before it can take off.

To daberno123, do you mean the design as it is or with the bolt in the barrel?

Thanks everyone :)

limbeh
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: TurboSuper » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:41 am

Wood is good for spacers and supports. Just have a go at it with a Jigsaw :D

"If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you" - Darwin Awards

TurboSuper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: limbeh » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:09 am

Wood might be good for you guys in the US......but here, where I live, the humidity is a lot higher (90-100% all year round), so wood doesn't last. Those that survive the humidity usually don't survive the termites.

Yes, I have a rough idea how to make PVC sheet from PVC pipe (as shown as on someone's how-to topic), but other than that I have no idea how to accurately cut out large holes (4.5inches) on PVC sheet lol......but then and again I modified my design after consulting some of the experts here.....so no spacers needed lol.

Thanks for the help guys! Will post pics up on the forum as soon as I complete the gun

limbeh
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion