Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 73 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

to decide between...

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
to decide between...

Unread postAuthor: Mr. Beaver » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:58 pm

hi everyone,
i wanted to know what is better (if not better so pro's and con's please):
a diaphragm type QEV vs. piston type QEV,

also,
how to know which is which cause from what i saw in "home center" (an Israelic company),
when i looked over the plumbing+gardening section, last time, when looking for a sprinkler valve,
i saw a bunch of sprinkler valves with no specs around
(unknown model/ diameter and stuff) and in a price of about 25$ (89 NIS),
(i guess it's not much but i have no work right now living off my summer job money :evil:) .

I don't want to take any chances so i thought about building a QEV gun and wanted to ask those questions.
I'll try my luck at "ACE" hardware store tommorow i think, and update you guys as soon as possible. :wink:

Mr. Beaver
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:01 pm

I think the general consensus is that diaphragms open quicker but pistons give better flow, personally I'd go for the piston type at it would probably last longer than a diaphragm.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Mr. Beaver » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:21 pm

in a diaphragm QEV, do i also need to mount the fill valve with the pilot or can i mount it on the chamber? (kind of a newbie Q that i'm pretty sure i know the answer just wanted to be sure) :oops:

Mr. Beaver
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:29 pm

A sprinkler valve works exactly like a diaphragm QEV so you should be fine filling from the chamber or the pilot, it shouldn't make a difference.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:38 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:A sprinkler valve works exactly like a diaphragm QEV so you should be fine filling from the chamber or the pilot, it shouldn't make a difference.

I don't think so. Sprinkler valves come equipped with equalization holes, while QEVs are completely airtight on the chamber side. I understand that this is easily alleviated by adding a small hole in th phram and a week spring behind it. I may be talking $hit though :D

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion