Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Piston problem again

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: nabu92 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:32 pm

Vids working now.
  • 0


nabu92
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:50 pm

yeah change your pilot preferably a 1'' sprinkler.
  • 0

User avatar
elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:40 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:51 pm

Two things

1) Try more pressure, mine pilots at 7psi, but try about 40psi anyway.
2) Try a 1/2" ball valve, I know my first 2" piston didn't pilot with a blow gun very well, but a 1/2" ball valve worked perfectly, 1" sprinkler even better.

Oh and when piloting try and hold the gun horizontally, shouldn't make much difference to a normal piston gun, but try anyway.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: nabu92 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:59 pm

I usually pump it to 60, in that vid it was at 70 I believe. I'm going to buy a 1/2'' ball valve first thing tomorrow.

Actually, I have an extra 1'' sprinkler valve that I modded.

Also, any idea on how to stop the leaks from the screws?
  • 0


nabu92
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:03 pm

Epoxy.
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:18 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Epoxy.

The answer to all man's problems.

Except the ones where it wouldn't help. It is not a cure for Bird Flu for instance... actually, it might be, if you can get yourself encased in epoxy in a sort of Han Solo manner (or maybe the mosquitoes in amber), then the Bird Flu will no longer be your biggest concern.

So contrary to what I earlier said, epoxy is even a solution to bird flu.

Damn, someone's going to put that in a signature now, aren't they?
  • 0

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
User avatar
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:23 am
Location: The UK
Reputation: 8

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:24 pm

The first video is all I needed to see. Air isn't getting passed your piston. The ammount of air that comes back out is no way a chamber full. That 1/4" hole should pilot that piston just fine. You need equilization hole/s in your piston.
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6538
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:31 pm

Ragnarok wrote:
MrCrowley wrote:Epoxy.

The answer to all man's problems.


Except that one problem, you know... ah...um... JSR will explain :D
  • 0

User avatar
MrCrowley
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 10207
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Country: New Zealand (nz)
Reputation: 4

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:40 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Except that one problem, you know... ah...um... JSR will explain

Or the problem Fat Pants from UKSGC once had. That can't be solved with epoxy either.

But these are few and finite exceptions to the rule.
  • 0

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
User avatar
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5339
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:23 am
Location: The UK
Reputation: 8

Unread postAuthor: nabu92 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:44 pm

jrrdw wrote:The first video is all I needed to see. Air isn't getting passed your piston. The ammount of air that comes back out is no way a chamber full. That 1/4" hole should pilot that piston just fine. You need equilization hole/s in your piston.


Where exactly would I put the equilization holes?

And wait what? my gauge is half way down my chamber and reads 50-90 psi whenever I fill it up. So It must mean air is getting down there.
  • 0


nabu92
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: thespeedycicada » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:48 pm

just dill a hole through the sid of the piston or just make a crack through the side its just so air can get through.
  • 0

current projects: co-axial piston valve.Status DONE!
S.P.E.C.S update mk 1 construction begining in febuary all the maths for it are done plans are drawn up and parts are listed.
NEXT project:auto piston valve.
User avatar
thespeedycicada
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:28 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:10 pm

nabu92 wrote:
jrrdw wrote:The first video is all I needed to see. Air isn't getting passed your piston. The ammount of air that comes back out is no way a chamber full. That 1/4" hole should pilot that piston just fine. You need equilization hole/s in your piston.


Where exactly would I put the equilization holes?

And wait what? my gauge is half way down my chamber and reads 50-90 psi whenever I fill it up. So It must mean air is getting down there.


I couldn't see the gauge move, I'll take your word for it. What size is your chamber? Thats not much air that comes back out, chamber must be small.

The equilazation hole should come out of the top of the piston just outside the sealing area. Into your chamber. If you drill a hole, make it no bigger then 1/32nds, and drill it kinda diaganul so you don't wind up going into the barrel or sealing face. Is your piston lubed? Can you move the piston by hand? Is it easy to move or hard to move?

I looked at the picture, was that the end cap/plug with the primer on it? It's not blocking the piston by any chance is it?
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6538
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

Unread postAuthor: elitesniper » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:15 pm

You only need equalization holes if you have o-rings .
  • 0

User avatar
elitesniper
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
 
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:40 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: nabu92 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:26 pm

jrrdw wrote:
nabu92 wrote:
jrrdw wrote:The first video is all I needed to see. Air isn't getting passed your piston. The ammount of air that comes back out is no way a chamber full. That 1/4" hole should pilot that piston just fine. You need equilization hole/s in your piston.


Where exactly would I put the equilization holes?

And wait what? my gauge is half way down my chamber and reads 50-90 psi whenever I fill it up. So It must mean air is getting down there.


I couldn't see the gauge move, I'll take your word for it. What size is your chamber? Thats not much air that comes back out, chamber must be small.

The equilazation hole should come out of the top of the piston just outside the sealing area. Into your chamber. If you drill a hole, make it no bigger then 1/32nds, and drill it kinda diaganul so you don't wind up going into the barrel or sealing face. Is your piston lubed? Can you move the piston by hand? Is it easy to move or hard to move?

I looked at the picture, was that the end cap/plug with the primer on it? It's not blocking the piston by any chance is it?


The chamber is 2'' and about 2 feet long not including all of the handles which are part of the chamber.
I can easily push and pull the piston with my finger.
Yeah, my piston is lubed with grease, I tested it with and without the grease and didnt see any difference.
The endcap leaves enough room for the piston to move back (about 2 cm).
  • 0


nabu92
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:57 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:33 pm

Is your sealing face centered in your tee?
  • 0

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
User avatar
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator
 
Posts: 6538
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Maryland
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 25

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'