Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 75 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

non-pressure rated pipe?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
non-pressure rated pipe?

Unread postAuthor: Sticky_Tape » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:44 pm

Hello there must be somthing on here about pressure and non-pressure rated pipe but when looking on wikipedia for spud gun related articles I search ''spud gun'' and when looking at part of the article ''primary materials'' ''plastics'' it said
PVC-U (Polyvinyl chloride, unplasticized) - Highly popular due to its availability and relatively low cost. PVC pipes are available in a wide variety of sizes and pressure ratings. In industry, however, they are illegal for compressed air applications—if they are damaged under pressure the plastic can fail explosively.[6]
ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) - Another popular plastic piping material, more expensive and less common than PVC but available in the same sizes and pressure ratings. Unlike PVC it is used in compressed air systems as it splits rather than shatters on failure.[7] It also has a greater temperature tolerance (-40°C to +80°C compared to 0°C to +60°C for PVC).
Both PVC and ABS piping are also available in forms which are not pressure rated. Use of unrated plastic piping and fittings is a common source of cannon failure and possess much more of a risk to a cannon operator.

Now this may have been posted before but I thought I should bring it to sight. It says
(ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) - Another popular plastic piping material, more expensive and less common than PVC but available in the same sizes and pressure ratings. Unlike PVC it is used in compressed air systems as it splits rather than shatters on failure.[7] It also has a greater temperature tolerance (-40°C to +80°C compared to 0°C to +60°)
Now everybody thinks ABS pipe is more dangerous than PVC but it says it splits rather than shatters like pvc maybe unrated ABS pipe is safer to use rated PVC.
And also for PVC pipe it says that PVC pipe is illegal for use in industry for holding compressed air.

Sticky_Tape
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:53 pm

Pressure rated pvc is a lot better than un pressure rated abs who cares if it splits instead of shatters becuase you will prety soon have a cannon with a nice big split in the chamber and it will be unusable or you can make it out of pressure rated pvc and it wont split or shatter it will hold together if you keep the pressure at a safe level.
As for the pressure rated abs it is only aviable online and very expensive and doesnt have many advantages over pressure rated pvc pressure rated abs in sch40 is more expensive than sch80pvc which is probably prefferable over abs.

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:54 pm

--

Last edited by dewey-1 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewey-1
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:14 pm

Now everybody thinks ABS pipe is more dangerous than PVC but it says it splits rather than shatters like pvc maybe unrated ABS pipe is safer to use rated PVC.
And also for PVC pipe it says that PVC pipe is illegal for use in industry for holding compressed air.

Not true, I'd take DWV ABS over pressure rated PVC in a combustion because it's light weight, looks better, cheaper, more available in larger diameters and should hold the pressure well enough.

Alot of the regulars on this forum also think the same. Please don't judge us from information you've found on the internet or common spudding myths.

In a pneumatic, i'm sure everyone here would take the rated PVC over un-rated ABS. But everyone would also take rated ABS over rated PVC, but like dewey-1 said, it's not that simple.

Also it's not 'illegal', only if you're a plumber installing it for a commercial application, that would probably breech the company's regulations and you would be fired.

It says that it is not recommended to use PVC with compressed air, but if PVC can take say 300psi of compressed water, it can take 300psi of compressed air, but if it blew up, the shrapnel would be far more deadly then if it was water.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:49 pm

mmm... rated ABS....

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Sticky_Tape » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:28 am

It says that it is not recommended to use PVC with compressed air, but if PVC can take say 300psi of compressed water, it can take 300psi of compressed air, but if it blew up, the shrapnel would be far more deadly then if it was water.

Water is incompressable you cant have 300 PSI of compressed water in a pipe. :P

Sticky_Tape
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:03 am

dewey-1 wrote:Please re-read what you typed in these statements! Difficult to understand and very little truth.

Pressure rated ABS will always be safer than any PVC.
Why? It splits rather than fragmenting into pieces.
Did you ever consider why it is so expensive?
It is used in Industrial and commercial pneumatic air systems because it approved in many states for this application.
Have you ever heard of OSHA?
So please do not make generalized statements like this when you really do not understand something.

Okay I do not think my post was hard to understand at all and what do you mean little truth I didnt state anything that almost every spudder knows or you stated except the sch80pvc better than abs thing which I will rephrase because I dont think you got my point.

Pressure rated Sch40 abs cost more than sch80pvc.What would rather have which is stronger and thicker and less likley to explode and rated to a higher pressure the sch80pvc.Sure if abs explodes it will split rather than shatter but if it splits theres still a danger in that your hand could be on the place it splits and you may lose your hand or at least get some nasty gashes.

really your the one that doesnt understand anything
And yes I know what osha is.

so you can go use pressure rated abs in a pneumatic it would be preferable over sch40 pvc but I think most people would rather have a sch80pvc chamber than a sch40 pressure rated abs chamber and the sch80pvc would actually cost less.
And if your so worried about it exploding why not just make it out of metal I have a metal launcher and you feel completely safe pressureiseing it to 300psi+.

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 am

dewey-1 wrote:
bigbob12345 wrote:Pressure rated pvc is a lot better than un pressure rated abs who cares if it splits instead of shatters becuase you will prety soon have a cannon with a nice big split in the chamber and it will be unusable or you can make it out of pressure rated pvc and it wont split or shatter it will hold together if you keep the pressure at a safe level.
As for the pressure rated abs it is only aviable online and very expensive and doesnt have many advantages over pressure rated pvc pressure rated abs in sch40 is more expensive than sch80pvc which is probably prefferable over abs.

Please re-read what you typed in these statements! Difficult to understand and very little truth.

Pressure rated ABS will always be safer than any PVC.
Why? It splits rather than fragmenting into pieces.
Did you ever consider why it is so expensive?
It is used in Industrial and commercial pneumatic air systems because it approved in many states for this application.
Have you ever heard of OSHA?
So please do not make generalized statements like this when you really do not understand something.

Dewey: Did you actually read his post? The statement "Pressure rated pvc is a lot better than un pressure rated abs ..." is cerrtainly true. (I'm assuming there haven't been any edits to bigbob's post.)

"Pressure rated abs it is only aviable online and very expensive and doesnt have many advantages over pressure rated pvc pressure". Is generally true unless you are lucky enough to have nearby supplier.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 am

I did not edit any of my posts so I really have no idea what dewey is talking about hes probably in his own little world :D

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:52 am

spudchucker wrote:Water is incompressable you cant have 300 PSI of compressed water in a pipe. :P

Was that meant as a joke?

Damn, maybe we should rename this thread "stupid comments from people that should know better".

You can pressurize water to anything you want. You most certainly can pressurize it to 300 PSI. Your home water supply is probably pressurized to ~60 PSI.

1. "Incompressable" is an approximation, water is compressable.

2. The compressibility of a fluid has no bearing on whether it can be pressurized. The compressiblity mearly describes how much energy is needed, and how much the volume will change, to get to a particular pressure.

3. The difference between water and air is that you can store only a small amount of energy in compressed water compared to an equal volume of air at the same pressure.

Hydraulic fluid is "incompressable" but hyrdaulic systems are regularly pressurized to thousands of PSI.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: bluerussetboy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:19 am

with the lack of coffee in my system, bigbob's two run-on sentences made absolutely no sense. even a minor attempt at punctuation/spelling couldn't have hurt. why should it be the reader's responsibility to attempt to make sense of an already incoherent post? you shouldn't have to read the sentence more than twice.

don't lower yourself to the poster's level by responding to or defending a poorly put together argument. ask for clarification.

yea, my lack of capitals and the occasional misuse of commas is probably a little hypocritical.

bluerussetboy
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:29 am

I kinda agree with you my grammer hasnt been the best lately my english teacher has been complaining. I also realize that my posts are hard to understand sorry about that Im just really tired :sleepy1: I just got up and I need some caffeine in my system.

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion