Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 48 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Best type of neoprene for sealing

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Best type of neoprene for sealing

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:49 pm

Well i have been looking on mcmaser for a little bit, and i want to order some neoprene for my sealing face, becuase i realized that inner tube will probably not work the best so it would be better if i ordered some good neoprene. Now the problem is, which type do i order?

This is the types of neoprene that McMaster has:

High-Strength Multipurpose Neoprene Rubber
Offers an ideal balance of increased strength, and good resistance to oil, flame, weather, and abrasion even with rough handling.

Commercial-Strength Neoprene Rubber
An excellent all-purpose rubber that maintains its resiliency even after extended compression. It also has good resistance to weather, alkalies, acids, and abrasion even with rough handling. Moderate resistance to oils. Also known as chloroprene.

Ultra-Strength Neoprene Rubber
A virtually pure neoprene, offering an excellent combination of strength and oil resistance as well as good flame resistance.

Fabric-Reinforced Neoprene Rubber
Fabric reinforcement increases strength and durability. Ideal for stress applications such as gasketing and diaphragm packing.

Antistatic Neoprene Rubber
This high-strength, flame-resistant neoprene conducts static electricity and protects equipment from damaging static charges, vibration, and shock.

Neoprene Spring Rubber
A hard, resilient material that bends but resists breaking.

Neoprene Cork Blend
Cork granules blended with Neoprene rubber make an excellent vibration-dampening and cushioning material. Compressibility is similar to that of natural cork. Resists some alkalies, salts, water, and some detergents.

I think that the Fabric Neoprene rubber would be the best because it mentions gasket material, which has been used as sealing face before.
Also hubb made a topic that mentioned that flutes use a layer of fabric under the sealing parts of the keys of flutes which makes them seal better so he thought that same concept can be applied with pistons and better sealing.

Also, my barrel is 3 inch diameter, so what thickness should i get?

EDIT: Also, what would be better, medium soft, medium hard, or hard?

4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:04 am

Ultra-Strength

I personally use 9013K272... I would use the hard type; its really not that hard considering the forces that we use on it for spudguns.

I must have told at least 20 people about this type of neoprene; few people know what the good stuff is. And just so you know, this type is reliable for all types of piston valves, from 1/4" porting to 3" porting

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: LikimysCrotchus5 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:12 am

DISREGARD

Would this be ok too? 9013K823

I believe it is the same, except it is just a square, 6x6 inch, and its also cheaper, but you probably get more from what you get.

EDIT: Nevermind

4SPC, My 4" piston 3" porting cannon
Memo:
Fix up copper cannon
Fix up 4SPC
Start Stirrup pump
Start Toolies piston bazooka
LikimysCrotchus5
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion