Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 8 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Baldyforks, Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Mortar Idea

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:47 pm

well it looks good from what I can see.
and as Rokmonkey mentioned it will be a problem making the round fly straight but it should be fixable with a long barrel and fins.

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Sergeant Dotson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:51 pm

Thanks, will look better with more coats of paint. :D

Sergeant Dotson
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Rokmonkey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:51 pm

Well sorry to be negative, I'm just letting you know what I've done. Maybe try Constant Co2 and every time you drop a round in, it triggers the valve, then sets the Co2 to refill the chamber and reset the valve.?

One thing we have used was fill an airsoft m203 round with gas, then drop a neferround with it, and put a small nail at the bottom there, that has worked for us.

Rokmonkey
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Sergeant Dotson » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:53 pm

I was just joking around. Positive critisism is always welcome.

Sergeant Dotson
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Rokmonkey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:56 pm

Trying to help :D

Rokmonkey
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: OuchProgramme » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Sergeant Dotson wrote:Like I said, I made a spring mechanism ,brother...

Yes but yours is remotely fired, a hammer type mechanism am i correct?

Like real mortars, a lever or something is struck by the projectile on the way down the barrel, which then has the firing pin strike the end of the projectile. If it was a retractable pin which followed by a swinging arm or..even an electric firing pin, it would be more realistic

OuchProgramme
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: lockmanslammin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:38 am

my previous post with the diagram didn't have it in the drawing but what I meant was that it would be spring accuated. I just didn't want to spend all night drawing it sorry. look at the diagram and imagine a spring way over on the left pushing the nail/firing pin part to the right. obviously you would have to manually cock the mechanism before each shot. I thought it would accually help it puncture better because if it were timed right the canister would still have some momentum from falling to help the puncture out.

Lock

lockmanslammin
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SNDM » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:45 am

So this is a spring gun then?
Incorpeating the CO2 canister.

Well, if you can get it to work...

But I think that if you can puncture that canister with a spring and a nail, then the container isnt strong enough to hold a decent psi of air to propel the canister anywhere, which means either:

A) You are dead.
or
B)You have found a way to hold the CO2 canister in place while the bottom is pounded by a massive spring and a spear, thus stopping the canister from exiting the tube.

Howja do it?

SNDM
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Sergeant Dotson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:03 pm

Well, essentially the spring mechanism is made of Sch.40 PVC. But once I have the barrel made, it will be galvanized steel. 8) Now that, is how I did it, and no, it is not remotely fired. What I do is cock back the pin and pull it to the right. When I am ready to fire, I will push the pin to the left, henceforth allowing the spring to extend and pushing the nail up through guided holes into the mouth of the canister.

Sergeant Dotson
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: OuchProgramme » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:39 pm

PVC is NO GOOD. After a couple shot's, or even the first i may say, its going to crack. Alluminum or copper is your best choice.

Timing is going to be hard =/

OuchProgramme
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 pm

As long as the pvc is the pressure rated stuff it will be fine.
It may crack after a while but it will hold up enough to see if this idea even works and if it works it would be worth it to replace it with something stronger.

Last edited by bigbob12345 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: OuchProgramme » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:11 pm

bigbob12345 wrote:As long as the pvc is the pressure rated stuff it will be fine.
It may crack after a while but it will hold up enough to see if this idea even works and if it works it would be worth it to replace it with a stronger.

Not if it's the spring mechanism. PVC cracks and is frail if struck upon, or dropped. Using it for the hammer mechanism will most likely have it crack upon first shot. Make it right the first time.

OuchProgramme
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: bigbob12345 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Well i disagree but we will see who is right when he tests it.

bigbob12345
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Sergeant Dotson » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:14 pm

Ouch, like bigbob said, this is a prototype. No.1) It is Sch.40 PVC., No.2) The barrel which actually contains the pressure is going to be galvanized steel. So, I'm really not to worried because I even have a metal washer blocking off the PVC.

Sergeant Dotson
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: OuchProgramme » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:25 pm

Sergeant Dotson wrote:Ouch, like bigbob said, this is a prototype. No.1) It is Sch.40 PVC., No.2) The barrel which actually contains the pressure is going to be galvanized steel. So, I'm really not to worried because I even have a metal washer blocking off the PVC.

Uhmm..i wasn't talking about the barrel lol. No offense, but PVC being Sch 40 is bull right now. No matter how strong your PVC is, its going to crack when used in the spring activated puncture system.

PVC is plastic and fails when struck upon, hence dropping pneumatic guns and having them blow up. When you release the pin, which then causes it to not only puncture a hole through the projectile but also ram the pin into your pvc casing. The casing isn't going to hold for long, and will crack possibly on your first test shot.

Yes yes i know its prototype, but rather than making a whole bunch of guide cases, why dont you just create one simple metal one?

OuchProgramme
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion