Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 82 users online :: 3 registered, 1 hidden and 78 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

stirrup pump question

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Pyro Ninja » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:36 am

Here you go (dongfang)
I think this is BTBs pic I "stole". :)

Attachments
o_ringpumpseal_170.jpg
Good?
o_ringpumpseal_170.jpg (37.59 KiB) Viewed 400 times
Pyro Ninja
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: Mitchza89 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:13 am

Hey there mate. I built a pump out of 3/4 type B copper (everything is different in Aus) which has an ID of about 19mm. I'm able to get up to 350psi pretty easily. I have no doubt that 400+ would be in the books but I reckon something might fail or blowout before then. You should have no problems with your pump.

Good luck and all the best.

P.S. Check out my latest gun in the Pneumatic Showcase. That shows the pump with the gun.

Mitchza89
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: lockmanslammin » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:45 pm

Nice gun man...and nice lookin' pump. I just finished my handle for my pump. I work maintenance at a plant, so I was able to get a scrap piece of 5/8 schedule 40 316 stainless steel pipe, which I tig welded a 1/2" 13 nut to, to fit my all thread shaft.
So are all your connections on your pump compression fittings?
I'm not sure why but I just don't quite trust compression fittings. I'm going to be using one on the top of my pump, but up there there is no pressure up there ya know. And just incase that confuses anyone, I know I have a part in the picture that is labeled as the top piece.....well, I changed my mind what can I say. I want at least one end to come apart easily for piston/ o-ring repairs.
I decided on a quick connect for my connection too. I am a little worried about it though, because I checked in mcmasters book and it seams like most of the standard quick connects are only rated at around 250 or so.
oh well, I'm gonna use one anyhow, I will just pressure test the whole setup to a way higher pressure than I intend to use it at a few times before I trust it all. Thanx for the reply... Lock

lockmanslammin
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Hawkeye » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:13 pm

You can just have it so the top piece slips on and either put a twist of tape to hold it or a couple of dots of glue that can be warmed to loosen it if you need to access the piston.
Unless you are yanking it up you are unlikely to pull it off.

Hawkeye
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: lockmanslammin » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:30 am

Hawkeye, thanx for the response, but I accually already purchased a reducer compression union for the job. I think what you said would work fine, but I want to be able to accidently pull up to hard without the pump falling apart on me. It was only a few more bucks and now I have a fitting for the "spare parts bin". Gotta love the spare parts bin.

Lock

lockmanslammin
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: dongfang » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:19 am

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation on the floating O-ring.

Regards
Soren

dongfang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion